I think my alternator died too.........

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the way home from work a few hours ago I noticed my factory volt guages (93 7.3 turbo) needle was on the "N" on NORMAL rather than the "L" where it usually is. Stopped at the grocery and when I restarted it, it cranked fine but the Amp light was on on the dash. Truck ran fine the rest of the way home with the headlights on but im afraid its gonna put me down in the morning.

What alternator do I have? Its a serpentine belt system if that helps. Trying to identify the problem tonight so I can make short work of the repair in the morning. Alternator is stock as far as I know (never been upgraded).

I've heard talk of a "3G" alternator. What application would fit my truck and "plug n play" without having to rewire anything?

As usual, thanks in advance for any input guys!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3G won't be plug an play. Double check the voltage at the battery with the truck off, and then the truck running. If it's charging, the running voltage should be higher, around 13-14v. This is just to verify it's not charging.

If it's not charging, the first thing to do is check the small plug on top where the two smaller wires go in. It could be corroded, loose, etc.

If you do not have time to fix it right away, I would put a small charger on it each night, and it should be fine till you get it fixed.

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree first check the alt, pull it off and take it to a part's store. They can test it. If it's fine, change the voltage regulator (10 dollar part under the starter solenoid).

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The alternator was shot. Took it off and had it tested, no output. It was the original motorcraft. 240k miles is a good service life.............

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin