I am kinda curious from people who have owned both PS and IDI ? MPG Reliabilty

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that is something that I have completely forgotten about, and that is a very good comment, because even if it doesn't get physically damaged, the years of cycling, heating and cooling will make any wiring harness brittle over the years, not to mention any mishaps over the years and splicing.

1994 Crew Cab F-350, 7.3L idi Turbo Diesel, 4x4, auto, DRW, Tollesboro, Ky

idipwr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny... I don't have a computer engineering degree, nor am I a master electrician. As a matter of fact, I HATE electronic problems. But I brought my powerstroke back from the grave, and it didn't take me much other than elbow grease and the cost of the parts. Which, contrary to popular belief, AREN'T all that expensive.

Changing an HPOP is almost the exact same process. Takes about the same amount of time. And a powerstroke won't leave you stranded because your IP decided to quit on you (it doesn't have anything that it depends on so heavily like the injection pump of an IDI; it's a lot of little pieces working together). Yes, it has it's weak points like the crank position sensor, but that takes all of 10 minutes and a 10mm wrench to change out.

My point is, does a Powerstroke have more parts to it? Yes. Does that mean there's more that can go wrong? Yes, it does. But they're just as simple to work on as any other engine I've ever dealt with, after I got familiar with it. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know sh*t about the powerstroke. Ask yourself, did YOU know anything about engines before you started working on your first one? How long did it take you to get comfortable around it and know it's insides and outs? It's the same with the newer engines. I for one, like the idea that my engine is smart enough to stop working when something's wrong with it. Can an IDI shut itself down to protect itself when something goes wrong? (it's an easy answer... no). Can an IDI tell you what's wrong with itself when you hook it up to a computer? Oh, no, because an IDI doesn't have any on-board diagnostics.

Long story short, it's all about preferences, man. Do I like my old IDI's? Hell yes I do, they're stupidly simple to work on. But do I like my Powerstroke better? You bet your a$$ I like it better. It's like a nicely refined, high class woman vs the girl-next-door of the IDI. Same concept, same end result, but lots nicer to look at and play with.

Well Said!!!!

Orpackrat

Reaction score
My personal truck is an IDI (needing repairs currently) and I love it, simple to work on, a lot cheaper to fix. I love mechanical engines for the simplicity.

My work truck (company truck) is a '97 7.3 Powerstroke with Banks Turbo that can hit 20psi. That truck has power, is abused in a sense for the weight that it has to haul, I'm not a big fan of the electronically controlled engine but its a good engine and works great. If I could afford a 7.3 Powerstroke in good condition, I would definitely get one especially if work picks up and I would have a bit more $$$$ on hand if I needed a big repair.

Biggest difference between the 2 when it comes to repairs from what I have seen IDI=$$$ PowerStroke=$$$$

Both are good, just be prepared for more complexity and higher maintenance costs on the PowerStroke.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
This obviously is a hot topic, I guess both have advantages. Because a PS has more electrics do you take a chance on the truck burning down more?

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
Is the block better on a PS ? what about the 93 n 94 IDI turbo being made with better parts? Is this true so you do not have the issues with the 92 n earlier trying to run turbos ?

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS and idi blocks are completely different, same displacement, completely different motors, kinda like a chevy 302 (from the 60's) and a ford 302. And cavitation is due to your antifreeze needing serviced, starts making bubbles that erode the block. I myself am not as informed nor educated on the subject as some of the other members, but long story short, it's more common in the idi. But also on the topic of 93, 94 turbo motors and older non turbo motors, the turbo motor block is a little different, main web thickness was increased by .100" and the oil port use for the turbo is bigger. I try to be indifferent, but I used to be a powerstroke owner and just prefer the idi now. More simplistic, less expensive, but they both have their own faults.

1994 Crew Cab F-350, 7.3L idi Turbo Diesel, 4x4, auto, DRW, Tollesboro, Ky

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Non turbo blocks really have no issues running a turbo.

We can argue and defend these different vintage trucks all day long but the bottom line is that either one is capable of several hundred thousand miles and will require certain maintenance to get that far.

I ask what is your intended purpose for this vehicle? For instance, I would choose an idi to plow snow all day long. If I had 15 miles of cattle fence to maintain I would load up an idi. 4" of lift, 36" tires and any kind of off roaring, an idi. Daily driver that's empty for the most part and toes a 5,000lb trailer on the occasional weekend, an idi.

Now where would a psd win out? Any kind of 30+ foot long goose neck or 5th wheel trailer on the highway I would choose a psd. High altitudes would make me tend to prefer a psd. Your significant other will appreciate the refined cab that the Superduty era has. A psd built for the 1/4 mile would be the only way to go, LOL.

The idi is plenty capable of doing the chores, towing heavy and in the mountains is say the psd will give you better peace of mind performance wise. Also the psd has factory hydroboost, is would definitly retrofit an idi with hydroboost for any kind of towing or heavy hauling. I also mentioned before that a pre 1992 D60 has king pins and they outlast ball joints two to one. The idi era has servicable front wheel bearings which seem to be a bit better than the unit bearings in the super duty era. The Superduty's come with an intercooler, a big performance advantage. Many talk about putting one in their older trucks but I'd say that few follow through with the good intention.

This is a very interesting thread. I'd say its easier to pick a truck for a specific intended purpose than it is to argue which one is better.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk