I am kinda curious from people who have owned both PS and IDI ? MPG Reliabilty

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you run whatever you want in the tank on a PS or is the IDI better about that?
I haven't tried to run anything other than diesel fuel in a PSD tank, but generally, fuel systems under high pressure (common-rails and HEUI systems) are considerably more sensitive to what fuel's going through, compared to a (relatively) low pressure system like what the IDI's use.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
You should not have to fix a 50000 $ new truck like the 6.0 had to be fixed. All those trucks can be made to be great but they I was lead to believe in order to meet EPA stock they are all burgered up and you cannot run whatever you want in the tank.

Can you run whatever you want in the tank on a PS or is the IDI better about that?

As I understand it, a 7.3 PSD can take a reasonable amount of WMO or WVO if properly filtered, and thinned.

Much like the 6.9 has head gasket/bolt issues that were rectified, or the block cracking around the block heater, the 6.0 has it share of issues. The 7.3 IDI has cavitation issues, at least the 6.0 block holds up. Its all relative I guess.

I'll take the IDI any day, cheap to buy, cheap to fix, good economy, good power and good fuel tolerance.

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned and worked on both now, to be quite honest, I am a lot like you in that I'm not about the power, mine was a 99.5 and while it had a lot of power, when I had to service or maintenance the thing, I always said might as well turn the wallet over and shake. Injectors and hpop are expensive, I didn't like the wiring in the valve cover gaskets, because tey are a pain in the ass to diagnose, and the motor is hard to work on because it's all stuffed in, mind you not as hard as a 6.0, but still harder than my idi. But I will say that the computer will keep runaways to nonexistent, but if it dies..... It dies. The 7.3 is a great power plant, but I'm a idi owner now and I don't think i will be going back. Transmission wise, I'm not really educated as to the internal parts difference in the automatics but I do know the 4r100 doesn't like being abused under a programmer. I really like that my idi is simplistic in its engineering and not at the expense of reliability. But with simplicity you pay at the expense of rear wheel horses, but upkeep is cheaper. I hope either way you go, it brings you happiness and years of good service.

1994 Crew Cab F-350, 7.3L idi Turbo Diesel, 4x4, auto, DRW, Tollesboro, Ky

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is a IDI easier to start learning about diesels in general???
I've only had a IDI, so I'm lacking in knowledge of PS.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all comes down to me with what your comfortable working on or paying to have fixed. I do prefer the electrically simple nature of the IDI. And I already had an IDI with my crewcab so when I wanted a plow truck I bought another IDI. Parts interchangeability between the two trucks was important to me. I've daily driven my IDI, but I will admit cold weather was always a worry. Mileage has always been mid teens in either truck.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is a IDI easier to start learning about diesels in general???
I've only had a IDI, so I'm lacking in knowledge of PS.
Generally, I've found that direct-injected engines (6BT Cummins, 6.7L PSD, Duracrax, M-B CDI, even my VW TDI) start much more quickly with shorter glow plug (or intake grid in the case of the 6BT) cycle time compared to IDI's (I've had extensive experience with the 6.9L/7.3L as well as the 3.0L M-B 5 cylinder IDI's). I haven't tried to start any diesel (or any engine, for that matter) in subfreezing weather, though.

The 7.3L, 6.0L, and 4.5L PSD's are an exception, though. The cylinders get hot enough to ignite fuel as quickly as on the other DI engines, but they need to crank for a couple of seconds to build up oil pressure before the injectors will fire. This is inherent to the HEUI fuel system. However, once oil pressure's built up, they'll fire right off ;Sweet

It all comes down to me with what your comfortable working on or paying to have fixed.
Truer words have not been stated!!! This is probably the single most important point made in this thread...different people have different preferences, mechanical ability, etc. and it's really all about what you want. Quite a few people on this site are more mechanically inclined than most and don't like dealing with the electronics that newer diesels have; there's an equally passionate PSD-advocate crowd that exists in other forums. The million dollar question is, what do you prefer and what are you willing to put up with?

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
Can you mate a newer style transmission to the IDI and get away from the 4100? The stick 5 speed is known to be more reliable?

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah anything can be done, like an above post mentioned, there is a ton of aftermarket parts for the powerstroke, and little for the idi, but I believe the op mentioned power and speed weren't a factor, but rather cost, not just initial but upkeep. So maybe a good response would be some idi common problem prices and then powerstroke common problem prices.
An idi injection pump is a wear item, the price can range from 350-1000 for a replacement, just dependent if you are buying from a company or buying a moose pump.
The idi injectors are a wear item and can range from 160-400, respectively.
Both are generally given a lifespan of 100k miles but that's not guaranteed to be shorter or longer.
The idi also has cavitation issues, so being that it is a use truck, you may have no idea as to the antifreeze maintenance and that is a replacement block, possibly a motor. I can't comment on price because I don't know that figure. But also cavitation is a diesel problem, so the powerstroke has the same potential threat but it is my understanding that the block doesn't wear the same.
Now powerstrokes have hybrid injectors, replacement of these injectors is approx 1200+ and are under the valve covers, in addition to the injectors, they have a wiring harness built into the valve cover gasket which is generally replaced during injector replacement and a short in this harness will cause a no start that can be hard to diagnose.
Also the ps has a high pressure oil pump, replacement isn't the simplest task but neither is a injection pump for the idi. I can't remember approx price, but they aren't cheap.
Also a note is that idi glow plugs are in the valley of the motor while powerstroke glow plugs are under the valve covers as well.
Idi motors also have valve guide wear issues that of not caught can be catastrophic.
They both have their fair share of problems, it's just which generation you would prefer, because with the powerstroke you also have a plethora of sensors that may go bad and nickel and dime you to death, while the idi is mechanical and it is more of a look listen and feel for finding problems. Do you want to work on a mechanical engine, or do you want to work on an electronic engine? Idi's are slow but good workers, ps have more power but also cost more to upkeep. Hope this post has helped you in some way and veterans feel free to correct me if I have posted anything wrongly, I'm not thin skinned lol.

1994 Crew Cab F-350, 7.3L idi Turbo Diesel, 4x4, auto, DRW, Tollesboro, Ky

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Can you mate a newer style transmission to the IDI and get away from the 4100? The stick 5 speed is known to be more reliable?

A stock 4R100 will take anything the IDI can dish out. With some tweaking, you will break the IDI before the tranny.

89-97 F series had the E4OD, this tranny had some issues in the early years. 4R100 is the 99-03 replacement. This was done due to the increased HP from the PSD.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
The mount up on the motor is not the same for the newer trannies? I here a e4od can be beefed up good?

What do I put in the rad for the cav problem?

Thanks for the help, I am happy with what I have. A PS does not sound like my kind of rig for the long haul.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I have had more wiring issues in my IDI than my 6.0 HANDS DOWN. And the 6.0 has almost 50K more miles on it....

I know there is obviously a 20 year difference, but unless the wiring on your IDI has been completly gone through, a newer PSD will have wiring that is much younger, and probably less broken down.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A slightly different point of view:

PowerStroke 7.3 was phased out of production in 2003, replaced by the TPOS 6.0. [if you have one and like it, no insult intended].

2003 to 2013 = 10 years ... The 10 year out of production limit is one Ford [and about everyone else] uses to stop active support of parts and maintenance. Soooooo the "hot damn PSD" is now "out of production" or soon "no longer supported" by "factory only parts".

IDI [girl next door] all mechanical IP will limp me home and I can fix it myself. PSD [fancy girl downtown with attitude] will leave me where ever it breaks and I get to walk home, tow bill it home, or have an "insurance fire where it sets" .. [kidding].

To fix it, I need a full compliment of Ford only test equipment and a parts room of electrical stuff to "throw at the problem" till I "guess right"... Who wins?

I owned a 99 PSD and a 2002 PSD.. loved them both.. great trucks in every way.. I now own and drive IDI's because I can support them and they do the job I need done.