I am kinda curious from people who have owned both PS and IDI ? MPG Reliabilty

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They all have the UVCH. A new engine wiring harness is about $200, valve cover gaskets and harnesses are $100 for the set, a new IDM is about $170, and a new PCM is about $400. Just depends on what is actually wrong with the truck. Pull codes and see what it's doing. Or ask the Ford dealership that diagnosed it what they found was the problem.

PS
That is one of the key issues...stranded on road...doing code pulls no way to determine for sure *** is going on..., and not always does that work, as you do one repair you find another failed system.

Now you have to either fiddle with flipping IGN back and forth to pull codes, or use the OBDII port depending on year...so what is it. Then mess with interpreting the code ....then find the part and finally get it installed...injectors for a tune up..yup not $350 a set of 8 nope...

IDI
IP gets hot and won't restart...indicative of IP...cool it down....restarts...Hmm..best be getting a new IP soon..

This is just a simple analogy/comparison however it's about as dumbed down as it can be to the root differences of the two systems.

For me I'll take a nice simple easy to fix, albeit temperamental sometimes IDI over being left dead because of a small glitch in a complex system.

For the most part, both trucks are very reliable, when in good operating condition however with the age of these trucks, you can expect there to be problems unless you take a full restoration and rebuild, then either will be a great truck.

Owning and operating a truck takes an investment in time and money and if you do your own service tools as well.

This just comes down to what and whom you are willing to part money with/for.

As I said previously, you have to make a choice...be it for good or bad and live with that choice whatever the outcome.

JM2CW

Others mileage will vary!

Al

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agnem,we have 1 new 6.7 at the shop.Aprox 125k in first 1 1/2 yrs.Cannot describe how well that truck runs.100% stock.14.7 unloaded.A whole handfull of buckshot thrown in engine bay,you'd be lucky if any hit the ground.Wait till those air/water develop issues.Plus 2 miles of hoses to egr/a/wtr coolers ect.Runs good,but likes her fuel.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS
That is one of the key issues...stranded on road...doing code pulls no way to determine for sure *** is going on..., and not always does that work, as you do one repair you find another failed system.

Now you have to either fiddle with flipping IGN back and forth to pull codes, or use the OBDII port depending on year...so what is it. Then mess with interpreting the code ....then find the part and finally get it installed...injectors for a tune up..yup not $350 a set of 8 nope...

IDI
IP gets hot and won't restart...indicative of IP...cool it down....restarts...Hmm..best be getting a new IP soon..

This is just a simple analogy/comparison however it's about as dumbed down as it can be to the root differences of the two systems.

For me I'll take a nice simple easy to fix, albeit temperamental sometimes IDI over being left dead because of a small glitch in a complex system.

For the most part, both trucks are very reliable, when in good operating condition however with the age of these trucks, you can expect there to be problems unless you take a full restoration and rebuild, then either will be a great truck.

Owning and operating a truck takes an investment in time and money and if you do your own service tools as well.

As I said previously, you have to make a choice...be it for good or bad and live with that choice whatever the outcome.

JM2CW

Al

I blame the lousy fuel system for the demise of the injection pump on the IDI.
With minimal volume in the original design to keep road speed the OEM design
is poor at best. Most trucks run daily with unknown delivery issues until it starts
to chug down the road before you decide to rip into it and find the source.
By then the Pump has been overheating and wearing out due to lack of volume delivery.
Real simple to see when standing back looking at the whole picture.

That is why my system is overkill on volume delivery, keeps the IP well supplied.

Javier

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
PS

IDI

JM2CW

Al

Hey you all thanks for teaching me on this issue, I just look at what the guy said who is selling me this PS if I wanted it. He claims the whole electrical system failed and it was a over 2000 $ through dealer and we are not talking injectors.

So the moral of the story seems to be on a IDI you can patch it together with a new part here and there but on a PS if you want to keep it reliable to where it won't leave you stranded every so often you just bite the bullet and replace all the stuff that is ?able at a cost of thousands for piece of mind so you can trust it.

Both are good products just different but for the average Joe who can wrench a little I think the IDI may be better in the long run.

Last edited:

Black dawg

Reaction score
If as much went wrong with the 7.3 psd as the idi guys like to claim, and if the idi was as ****** as most 7.3psd guys claim,

I would drive a chevy.

I work on both regularly, and reliability is a toss up. I have seen idi trucks and psd trucks with 300k on the original fuel system and neither run like they should.

I drive an idi because I can fix/rig/remove ANY part of my truck.

As far as mpg, from what I have seen the psd does better, especially towing.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Hey you all thanks for teaching me on this issue, I just look at what the guy said who is selling me this PS if I wanted it. He claims the whole electrical system failed and it was a over 2000 $ through dealer and we are not talking injectors.

So the moral of the story seems to be on a IDI you can patch it together with a new part here and there but on a PS if you want to keep it reliable to where it won't leave you stranded every so often you just bite the bullet and replace all the stuff that is ?able at a cost of thousands for piece of mind so you can trust it.

Both are good products just different but for the average Joe who can wrench a little I think the IDI may be better in the long run.

as far as the whole electrical system failing, It sounds like maybe somebody is lacking in what it takes to diagnose a broken vehicle....unless it caught fire or something.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
as far as the whole electrical system failing, It sounds like maybe somebody is lacking in what it takes to diagnose a broken vehicle....unless it caught fire or something.

He took it to 3 different places and they all told him alot of the electrical components of the engine system were cooked. He said somebody who new what they were doing could fix it alot cheaper but added he had had better luck with simpler diesel systems and he did not like it for that reason.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
If as much went wrong with the 7.3 psd as the idi guys like to claim, and if the idi was as ****** as most 7.3psd guys claim,

I would drive a chevy.

I work on both regularly, and reliability is a toss up. I have seen idi trucks and psd trucks with 300k on the original fuel system and neither run like they should.

I drive an idi because I can fix/rig/remove ANY part of my truck.

As far as mpg, from what I have seen the psd does better, especially towing.
Overall $ for $ for a money maker I would say the PS is probably better but for me the IDI is probably better.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
My 7.3 Excursion with 3.73 axles was always within a mile per gallon with the truck in my Sig. I'd take an idi for my personal vehicle, put 99-03 7.3's out for employees.

I do like both generations of trucks, just be realistic about what you expect. Any idi will leave you wanting for more when towing heavy in the mountains. They may be tough as nails but are slow as molasses compared to anything new, be it gas or diesel.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like PSD's, but I'll still take an IDI over one any day. It seems the natural progression of things. The 6.0 guys will say they would take a 7.3 over their 6.0. The 6.4 guys say they will take a 6.0 over their 6.4, and I don't know what the 6.7 guys are saying, but it's probably coming. LOL
FWIW I've spent quite a it of time behind the wheel of both a 6.7L and a 6.0L (never touched a 6.4L, and I haven't really spent much time with a 7.3L PSD)...purely from the perspective of a driver, I'll take the 6.7L any day of the week. Much better low-end torque and hardly any turbo lag, and in the same application (15K empty 32-pax bus on an F-550 chassis), they both get about 10 mpg...granted, the 6.7L needs exhaust fluid as well as fuel. The 6.0L's had to be driven like Detroits to get any power out of them...although I think they sound better than the 6.7L, which sounds like a gasser with a valve problem. They're both exponentially better than the Duracrax LOL

As to under the hood...the 6.7L is clearly more complicated, but I'm just thankful that I don't have to wrench on either one :angel:

To the original topic...to the OP, I recall you saying in another thread that you don't do much of your own wrenching anymore. If that's the case, and if you can afford it, I think you'll save yourself quite a bit of frustration if you get a newer truck. These trucks are great and very reliable IMHO, but there aren't all that many shops out there who know these older diesels nowadays...it's becoming more of a niche market simply because there aren't as many of our trucks on the road as there used to be. If you find a good honest shop that knows these engines well, you're golden ;Sweet and they certainly exist, but I also recall horror stories of shops who didn't really know these engines and just threw parts at them until the truck went away...

Last edited:

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
Maybe it is just me but I like the newer generation cabs better and they seem made better? I think the 79er cabs were made better than the Gen that replaced them. Much more metal, the 1980 n up to the redesign in 1997 seemed poorly made to me in the cab area. This truck is fine. Mine seems fairly powerful I wonder if the turbo is turned up. You can here it whistle good.

We can't find anything major wrong with my IDI, that is one thing about the area I am in. I live by Ocala FL and that is horse truck country which is 1 ton horse hauler country and this truck has no issues at all. It needs the rotors and drums turned and a few interior fixes and that is about it. You can tell the truck was garaged most of it's life.

The economy is so bad here the people just practically gave the truck away.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
My dads CCLB F350 4X4 pulls mid teens for mpgs consistently. He had replaced all 8 injectors, and the hpop.
The cost of those repairs exceeded the purchase cost of both my current idivan and my previous idi F250 put together. Both my idi's got high teens low 20's for mpg.

The ps starts a lot better in. The cold. The fuel system doesn't have the air intrusion like. The idis suffer from. Aftermarket support is monsterous for the ps and nearly non-existant for the idi (mel and type4 not with standing).
I've wrenched on newer stuff, and I think once the 6.0 has egr cooler deleted, head gaskets n studs its reliable. I don't have much 6.4 or 6.7 info.

Sounds like the op needs a stick shift truck behind a p pump cummins. :)

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
My dads CCLB F350 4X4 pulls mid teens for mpgs consistently. He had replaced all 8 injectors, and the hpop.
The cost of those repairs exceeded the purchase cost of both my current idivan and my previous idi F250 put together. Both my idi's got high teens low 20's for mpg.

The ps starts a lot better in. The cold. The fuel system doesn't have the air intrusion like. The idis suffer from. Aftermarket support is monsterous for the ps and nearly non-existant for the idi (mel and type4 not with standing).
I've wrenched on newer stuff, and I think once the 6.0 has egr cooler deleted, head gaskets n studs its reliable. I don't have much 6.4 or 6.7 info.

Sounds like the op needs a stick shift truck behind a p pump cummins. :)
You should not have to fix a 50000 $ new truck like the 6.0 had to be fixed. All those trucks can be made to be great but they I was lead to believe in order to meet EPA stock they are all burgered up and you cannot run whatever you want in the tank.

Can you run whatever you want in the tank on a PS or is the IDI better about that?