How to tell what size fuel tanks I have?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Can some of you try and grab some measuremts of your fuel tanks, but only if you know your tank size. I bought an 88 f250 with dual tanks. Both sending units are junk/rotted off. Can't get sending units for our tanks so I am going to convert gas units. But I have no idea what size I have since when I fill them they only take 6-8 gallons. lol

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 38 gallon tank in my shed, but this truck won't be around long. Fixing it up/driving it through the winter then giving it to a close family friend who if on hard times right now. Want him to have something he can tow with and has 4x4

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are so close it doesnt matter, its more of how the float arm is bent. But for some reason all the diesels I have helped with had the 19 in both positions.

gandalf

Reaction score
Do you want actual physical measurements? Length, width, height, and such? Front tank, rear tank? That's going to be a bit rough since these tanks aren't really a regular and uniform shape. Just about any measurement we take will be a guestiment average for lxwxh. If they are stock tanks I'd say they are in the 18 to 19 gallon range, both front and rear.

That being said, I have the bed off my truck, the '92 CC Dualie. I've just replaced the rear tank and am putting things back together. If you want those physical measurements I can do that pretty easily. Just say the word and I can take my tape measure out there, as long as it isn't raining. I don't work well in the rain.:rolleyes:

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
Well with what typ4 said, looks like I am going with 19 gall. No need for measurements. Actually the jbg link has decent specks.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think the biggest difference would be steel or plastic for the front tank. The 90 I bought for parts has a plastic front tank. Standard 16 gallon rear tank. Diesel senders are available from Ebay. I bought new ones for mine. They are not for the right years but I ran my own lines so it didn't matter. If you need measurements give me a shout.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online