How to polish a ****, for Dummies

40dog

Reaction score
up here in northern ny they would advertise that body as being mint cond.lol most of the trucks around here the cab mounts are shot and the bed sides are so full of holes its like looking thru a window screen. lots of lace rust. If you haven't got rid of those hub caps and want to send me a pm i would put them on my 87 . once you dust that frame off por 15 will make it look like new . keep us posted .

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured id start a thread on here and show my step by step as i "redo" my truck. As in redo i mean i'm doing a complete body swap, por-15 the whole chassis, swap the custom inferior interior for a lariet interior, new fuel and brake lines, go over the engine make sure it's good to go, new custom exhaust, custom cold air intake, etc... Basically i'm poishing a ****, hence the title.

Here it is before "dieselbrad" hauled it home for me..
You must be registered for see images attach

i'll get more pics in a few, need to go snap them.

Boy, does that truck look familiar!!

40dog

Reaction score
The see thru floors are so you can drop the beer cans out instead of tossing them into the bed.i will say the trucks in southern pa are alot better lookin then around here.i picked up a nice idi in northern jersey a few years back. most the stuff around here has bad frame rot from salty winters.paper thin spring hangers and every day you see the guys hauling them to the scap yard for the $250 a ton they are paying localy.the 500$ parts beaters that were around are disappearing fast its to bad alot of engines and drive-lines are good but still getting junked.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
didnt get much done today, just cleaning the rails up a bit. i also went and ordered new spring hangers, they arent rotted thru but i figure since i'm this far i should just cut the old ones off and por-15 under them, put on some nice new ones.

tomarrow i'll strip everything off, finish wire wheeling and por-15 the rear of the frame, as long as it dont rain.

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i got rained out yesterday, all i was able to get done before it started was remove the old rear bumper somebody felt the need to weld and bolt on.:rolleyes:

today i got the rear out, rear hangers off the frame, wiring and fuel lines off and the exhaust off. tomarrow i'll wire wheel it, get the front hangers off and put a coat of por-15 on it if i have time. working nights sucks, it's beautiful outside but i need to go to sleep:mad:

oh ya and i found this, think this truck hauled a load once or twice..

yep sheered clean off, luckly i had a new set of rear springs for it that came with the parts truck..

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
you are moving allong nicely, keep the pics coming!

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what you doing with that bumper?
also i weld and bolt everything well didnt bolt the front bumper but the hitch has both lol

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i actaully kind of like that bumper but i already have a decent one on my truck.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i could use
itll get cut up and modded into some part of my front bumper most likely

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
welding and bolting makes no sense to me, grade 5 bolts will hold a heck of a lot more than most people think they will and the whole point of the bolts is to have a shear pin of sorts so that you dont bend your frame, but then again I have seen bolts hold and bend the frame depending on where the bumper was hit

G.W BUFFALO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just finished the third coat of por-15 on the frame, looks awsome. sorry no pics, ran outa time but it looks like a por-15ed frame.. gotta get some sleep, work in 6hrs.. later