How much different is a turbo idi?

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
All depends, most turbo kits are $2000 & it's not like you will get much more of a level of preformance over a stock PSD or Cummins. I'm also convinced that once you turbo the IDIs they start to loose some reliablity, remember they were a N/A engine to start with. My $$$ would go to a diffrent truck or towards a engine swap over just turboing these.

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ATS kit on my '91 seems to be a very well engineered setup, and I don't think it is in any way reducing the reliability of the truck.

With that said, it still won't run with my stock '95 powerstroke, but hey it's pretty darn close. The '91 gets a little help from the 4.10's, while the stroker gets hurt a little by the 3.55's it has.

Greg

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All depends, most turbo kits are $2000 & it's not like you will get much more of a level of preformance over a stock PSD or Cummins. I'm also convinced that once you turbo the IDIs they start to loose some reliablity, remember they were a N/A engine to start with. My $$$ would go to a diffrent truck or towards a engine swap over just turboing these.

Your only saying that because your trying to talk yourself out of wanting a turbo. LOL

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry, I forgot to mention I'm in the top of pa. just short of elmira, new york.

Yeah, it runs good, don't get me wrong. it'll bury the speedo, but not in anything respectable for time. I understand it's a 7200# truck(It's been weighed) I've had the truck for2 1/2 years I think. The motor only has about 70k on it. with almost no blowby. It' pulls ok, but I'd like to upgrade that ok to something more like "great". If it weren't so expensive I'd either upgrade it to a PS or C*******. But then everyone here would want to hurt me. So long story short what's the cost of going new? comparing the reliability of going used?

I guess you are right, a lot of us would want to hurt you!LOL

Actually your reasoning is very common. Upgrade the truck, or just get a newer truck? We've all been there when it came to trying to justify the turbo kit. In my case I got a used one that was nearly complete so I saved that way.

Don't worry about reliability. Keep the boost at 10 PSI or less and it will hold up just fine. The EGTs will run lower and you will have the power you need. There is a reason why nobody builds a none turbo diesel these days. If anything it will last longer with a turbo. It will also burn less fuel when being worked harder.

Is the truck manual or automatic?

RedTruck

Reaction score
I can only testify to my experience. I'm running a 6.9 with a wastegated banks turbo-intercooler-T-19-3.54 gears.

Most of my driving has been through Minnesota and North Dakota. Rolling hills...not flat by any means, but not mountainous. I pulled a 24,500 lb load 300 miles right after I did the intercooler installation. It would maintain speed very well. At speed I'd be running 5psi boost right around 600 degrees. It was solid. It wouldn't blink at a hill. In fact I could easily accelerate up hills. If I dropped below that 5psi mark it was very doggy. Shifting up through gears leaving a small town would take a while, but then once on the road and cruising everything was fine.

If you are in bed with your old cummins, you're not ever going to like the pulling capabilities of your old IDI. It'll pull it's rated GVWR just like your old cummins did...just slower. If you're willing to settle for less of a power plant, and are capable of doing the work yourself, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more economical power plant.

Paul

discbrks

Reaction score
This post makes me wanna dust off the Sidewinder kit that's been sitting in a box for over a year!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you really want to go Cummins you could swap one in where that IDI is. It can be done economically, if and only if you can find a fairly complete Cummins truck to strip for parts. If you want that power you need a Cummins, cause I doubt very much that an lightly turbocharged IDI will ever keep pace with a lightly modified 12V Cummins. The potential biggest headache would be mating your transmission to the Cummins, but there are definitely ways around it, you could use the Dodge transmission which is not too bad of an idea if its a manual or if you have a ZF5 there is supposedly an adapter to make it fit the Cummins, not real cheap but Advance Adpaters is said to make them. Not sure if an adapter exists for the E4OD but then again they have enough trouble handling a stock N/A IDI(mostly computer and electrical but still...) My vote would be for a Cummins swap or just drop a turbo on yours if you can live with the slightly lower power level. The truck will respnd very well to turbocharging with that low of mileage I doubt reliability would be affected at all as long as you watch your gauges. I like the non wastegated kits like the hyperma because you only make a lot of boost when you need it, dragging around town its very little and thus doesn't stress the motor until you come to a hill say or need to pass the slow guy, then you have boost. You also clean up the smoke emissions quite a bit while gaining power...how many things can you say that about??? Hypermax is top notch, consider going through forum member "Huff" if you buy Hypermax, he'll definitely treat you right.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm also convinced that once you turbo the IDIs they start to loose some reliablity,

I would disagree. The kits available from Banks, ATS, or Hypermax have been out for over ten years and the same is true for Factory turbo'ed IDI's. If turbos were killing these motors left and right, we (turbo'ed IDI owners) all would be in serious trouble. Certainly, changes can be made to get excessive boost/EGT's, but that's a matter of the owner's choice.

You can't go wrong any kit, but you need to chose a wastegated (ATS or Banks) or non-wastegated (Hypermax). The wastegated turbo will have less turbo lag and can be adjusted to your liking. Non-gated, will have more lag, but the Hypermax system is excellent per the good folks here.

Heath

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck is a zf, and by reliability I meant about a used kit. I have the skills needed to build a custom kit, but I hate having little bs issues with projects. So I either want a complete used kit, or a new one. Nothing ruins the day more than when you are ready to tow to the lake, then you have issues with a $20 part that's 60 miles away. YOU KNOW?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck is a zf, and by reliability I meant about a used kit. I have the skills needed to build a custom kit, but I hate having little bs issues with projects. So I either want a complete used kit, or a new one. Nothing ruins the day more than when you are ready to tow to the lake, then you have issues with a $20 part that's 60 miles away. YOU KNOW?

Damn do I ever hear you! Went through a bit of that with my used kit, but at $200 I can't really complain that much. The turbo oil feed line costed me no end of grief until I finally got it to work. Making the piping for the exhaust was time consuming but worth it, because the pipes that came with the kit were all mild steel and made all mine out of SS.

I'm not sure about banks or hypermax, but ATS still has some scematics on its website that show you all the parts that are in each kit going all the way back to the old 085 kit. Doing some home work on what should be in the turbo kit means that you will know what you are looking at if you decide to get a used one.

Otherwise you could simply spend the money on a new one and have the warranty and tech support that comes with it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah we know! I think everybody that does projects like this does. If you indeed do have the skills to fabricate your own kit, you might look into what Rkoch has done with the turbos off of DT466 and T444E trucks, it would probably be a LOT cheaper than a new kit if you can do the fab work yourself. That being said a kit is a lot less trouble. Personally I'd look for a fairly complete used kit and go in assuming it at least needs a turbo kit(seals and bearings) and at worst a new center cartridge. I don't know how to rebuild a turbo and I have no equipment to Balance one if I did, so I bought my ATS 088 off of ebay and it was very complete, seemed in good condition but the compressor wheel had lots of abrasive damage and excessive endplay. I wound up having Ken at DPS rebuild the thing. It seems he did a decent job despite being slow, I was very happy with it, works good. Worst thing about the kit is that the air box is trash, its hard to make it seal right. I recurved the straps and added weather stripping so hopefully that reduces my silicone(dirt) in my oil sample to acceptable levels if not I'm going to have to do something about it.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Your only saying that because your trying to talk yourself out of wanting a turbo. LOL

Hey I have a turbo...on the Powerstroke! :D

If you really want to go Cummins you could swap one in where that IDI is. It can be done economically, if and only if you can find a fairly complete Cummins truck to strip for parts. If you want that power you need a Cummins, cause I doubt very much that an lightly turbocharged IDI will ever keep pace with a lightly modified 12V Cummins. The potential biggest headache would be mating your transmission to the Cummins, but there are definitely ways around it, you could use the Dodge transmission which is not too bad of an idea if its a manual or if you have a ZF5 there is supposedly an adapter to make it fit the Cummins, not real cheap but Advance Adpaters is said to make them. Not sure if an adapter exists for the E4OD but then again they have enough trouble handling a stock N/A IDI(mostly computer and electrical but still...) My vote would be for a Cummins swap or just drop a turbo on yours if you can live with the slightly lower power level. The truck will respnd very well to turbocharging with that low of mileage I doubt reliability would be affected at all as long as you watch your gauges. I like the non wastegated kits like the hyperma because you only make a lot of boost when you need it, dragging around town its very little and thus doesn't stress the motor until you come to a hill say or need to pass the slow guy, then you have boost. You also clean up the smoke emissions quite a bit while gaining power...how many things can you say that about??? Hypermax is top notch, consider going through forum member "Huff" if you buy Hypermax, he'll definitely treat you right.

You can get any kinda Cummins adapter plate from these guys... http://www.destroked.com

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
For the time and money I have tied up in my paid for 89 idi it would have made more sense to have gone cummins or psd. I have almost $8000.00 alone tied up in the GV and BTS trans... But I do have 8 forward gears to choose from... How many trucks can say that without a smile... My engine (because some like to call it that) has more porting and upgrading than any would care to do... But I want all I can get safely out of my engine and make it last. I could add grill gas and fog it but thats way over the threshold of reliablity for otr trucks. You could get really busy pulling a grade splitting gears and throwing water and propane at it all the time watching the 6 extra gages I already have....The big plus to driving an older truck is hopefully I can repair whatever happens on the road somewhere... A psd breaking down... Well lets just keep wondering about that.. They sure do look and ride nice though.....-Drool

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online