How much different is a turbo idi?

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As some of you know, I was going to sell the idi, but I believe that I'm going to sell the other truck instead, as I know this one will pull, and you can load it to the gills. Whereas the other truck starts handling funny at 65 with 1400 lbs in the bed.

So back to the real question for all you guess running an idi that wasn't turbo'd and you converted it.....How much better is it really? I haven't seen a single running turbo idi ever, much less got a ride in it and said....WOW. I guess what I'm saying is I'd like it to pull more like the 01 cummi.. I sold off 5 years ago. I know it'll never pull like the chipped 01 I had, but if it could pull quite a bit stronger than it does currently, I might resurrect the idea of installing the H1c I have sitting in my shed. I just don't want to do a bunch of work installing it, then be horribly disappointed when it's all said and done.

Comments? Ideas? Joyrides? Give me some thoughts. Thanks guys

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I was more than impressed with mine. Its no powerstroke but a good substitute. I swapped in the zf when I did the turbo install and it was a whole new truck. I would recommend it and then some. If you live near or can get too portland I will gladly take you for a spin (keep in mind its a 7k lb 4x4) I do think that I am due for injectors and an ip to really get it rolling well but all the same it is a nice ride.

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's like this:

70 mph on the highway, the turbo is pushing 3 psi of boost.

It seems impossibe that the factory non-turbo truck could even GO 70 mph without a turbo, much less pull something that fast.

Greg

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well the question is kinda deep. If you want to know the physical differances are. They are some but not many. The exhaust valves are made of inconel material and will handle higher heat. The block supossidly have a 110 thousands wider main web design but I have not found this to be true yet. Still looking. The crank and cam are the same. The rods are differant between the turbo and non turbo motors. The turbo rods have a 33mm wrist pin diameter and the non is 29mm. The intake and heads are the same too. The turbo block has 1/4 inch oil ports and the non has 1/8 inch. Oil pumps are the same throughout the 6.9 and 7.3 idi motors. Now a wastegated turbo motor will be a completely differant motor when you get into it and pull a grade or load. Turning up the injection pump a flat or two will wake it up also but install a boost gage and pyro. Otherwise you wont know how hot the cylinder temp is. You can melt a piston. Non wastegated trubos run very well also. If I missed anything someone will chime in shortly.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were to turn the fuel screw all the way up, I would be able to catch a 1st generation powerstroke if it were stock, might even hold pace with a stock 2nd generation. If I couldn't win a drag race, I would still win for top speed though......

My truck was healthy when I got it and could pegg the speedo when it was N/A, But that would take about 80% power. Now it will hold well over 85 at only 30-40% power on flat ground. If I were to floor it, it would basically just keep on increacing speed until I lost my nerve (others would run out of RPM, but NOT power).

Another example.

Top speed on a 10% grade:

N/A: 45 MPH in second gear
Turbocharged: a hair shy of 70 MPH in 3rd gear
(with minimal smoke, so more power is still possible)

I'm more conserned with MPGs than I am with power, so my fuel setting is relatively conservative, and I don't really try to win any drag races from the stoplight. But it has enough power that I can't see myself needing a different truck for the rest of my life if it wasn't for things like rust.

I should also mention that I have an old turbocharger kit that can be out performed by newer kits which will build more boost lower RPM.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
My truck would get up to 70 no problem before the turbo and after the turbo it still gets up to speed in a blink, the turbo will wake up that engine. If You interested I'm selling My Hypermax turbo (PM) and I mention this bc You said You would use a dodge turbo but at the end it might be cheaper to just get an aftermarket turbo and get the same good result every one gets, unless You have time to fabricate. It all comes to how much is Your time worth to You.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to guess you'll like that truck a lot better with the turbo, mine seemed like a different truck when that old ATS non gated turbo went in and that was when I was still choking it down with a too restrictive exhaust and the C6 tranny. Now, with a free flowing exhaust and a 4 speed I can really hot rod it along if I feel the need to, but I'm trying to be good. I don't want any speeding tickets or to have to pay the fuel bill for that kind of behavior. Please post your location I think a lot of us would let you ride in our turbo trucks and some would even allow a test drive. I would.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
It is without a doubt, the BEST thing I've ever done to my truck. It has cost a lot, but is worth it. Made my truck soooo much more driveable its not even funny. 0-60 times were cut by like 4 seconds...and I'm not having to set up to pass someone, just hit the throttle and away they go. The sound alone of my truck was worth it, add the performance, and I would 110% recomend anyone with the money to do it.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep...plus that truck of yours is unique a SRW crew cab, also heavy which means in big need of a "boost" Also you have a 7.3 so you shouldn't have the head gasket issues we 6.9 guys deal with as long as you keep your boost under 12-13psi.

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry, I forgot to mention I'm in the top of pa. just short of elmira, new york.

Yeah, it runs good, don't get me wrong. it'll bury the speedo, but not in anything respectable for time. I understand it's a 7200# truck(It's been weighed) I've had the truck for2 1/2 years I think. The motor only has about 70k on it. with almost no blowby. It' pulls ok, but I'd like to upgrade that ok to something more like "great". If it weren't so expensive I'd either upgrade it to a PS or C*******. But then everyone here would want to hurt me. So long story short what's the cost of going new? comparing the reliability of going used?

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, sub question: Why is the hypermax pulse system so much cheaper than banks and ats? Not that any of them are cheap, but at 1700, vs. 22-2700 how much better do the others work for the price diiference?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I believe its cheaper cause its simpiler. Plus hypermax doesnt have as much hype and advertising as ATS and Banks do, so you dont have to pay for that. I would probably go with the hypermax if I was to buy new, cause banks is discontinuing it (or already has), and ATS has horrible customer service. The hypermax would perform just as good, not as good down low cause it isnt wastegated, but higher in the rpm's it'll boost just as good ;Sweet

I went used. Used turbo kit for $900, custom exhaust, $150, and gauges $500. So it cost me like $1550 and every penny of it was worth it.

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Banks is a complete kit with exhaust etc. Hypermax exhaust is extra (but recommended). Not sure about ATS. That said, I think only Hypermax is available new, and they were great to deal with for parts etc.
JwS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online