How much can i turn up the IP??

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
The IP in my '94 turbo IDI (absolutely stock) is dying. I began having some difficulty with hot restarts. I think that is one of the typical failure modes.
I have a spare pump. I think it was off my old 6.9 replaced by error. I thought the pump was bad when it turned out only to be the rubber seal at the inlet pipe. Anyway, the pump has been sitting, filled with Diesel Service. When the solenoid is energized, it seems to pump when I turn it by hand.
So, I am thinking of installing this pump on the '94 turbo IDI.

The question is--how much (if any) can I safely turn up the pump. I ask "safely", as I have no pyrometer installed.
I seem to remember 2 flats being a "safe" amount. But the pump is off a 6.9 and its going on a 7.3 w/ factory turbo.

Is there a "safe" amount?

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i asked that same question a long time ago, i was told to get a pyrometer and then make adjustments to the pump to be sure, i got the meter but i haven't made any adjustments to my pump, my egts are pretty low and i like it like that, i would get a pyrometer first, i got mine off ebay for 40 bucks, better to know your not destroying your engine because of someone else word,

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Actually just install the 6.9 pump and run it. Without installing a pyro you are guessing when or if you will burn down the engine. How safe do you want to be. Just because you have an idea a 6.9 is not going to send as much fuel to feed a 7.3 is slightly flawed. Will the 6.9 pump leave some hp on the table.. Sure it will but will you be able to feel it on the butt o meter.. I really don't think so. Play iy safe is my feelings.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
stock my truck would bury the pyro if I rode it hard with a trailer in tow, egts are dependent upon several things and I dont believe there can be a safe standard

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Michael,

Keep an eye on the tailpipe when towing or hard accel, if you start to see a trail of smoke - don't stay in her for very long at all. I will say get a pyro but that said I don't have one and don't have any plans on adding one but I don't tow with E3 and won't be - she is and will be nothing more than a grocery getter - I don't know how far mine is turned up because it's Cole's old pump that has been 1- pistons and bores have been hogged out and 2- he turned it up - she has the ability to smoke like a freight train but I just don't push down that ******* the skinny pedal and keep an eye on the exhaust - if smoke is seen I back off a bit.

I know... I know... this is out of character for me but I find that as I'm aging I'm less and less into the performance and just want to enjoy the sound and nostalgia of the IDI.

So I say give her a couple of flats but keep an eye on the tailpipe.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I don't know where to begin.... The Travis I knew , ( If memory is functioning--and that may be doubtful) , anyway, the Travis i knew did major damage to Enterprise at a redlight. He couldn't be the one counseling going easy on the loud pedal, could he? Or is my memory distorted.

I think I might play it safe and not turn it up. I'm not really in any hurry. Its just that it would be so easy with the pump on the bench...

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
yeppers - I'm a changed man.... after having the cummins my "I need more power fix" has been cured... when it comes to my IDI's I now keep them as stock as possible and just enjoy the sweet sound of a V8 diesel clattering away under the hood. If I want speed I hop on the bike and dig it into the corners.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Injection pump is OUT!
About 2 hours between last night and this afternoon. Nichols/Chilton says its 4.7 hours for R&R on a '94 IDI turbo. Turbo, and the glow plug harness made it a bit more difficult than my '86 NA, but overall not too bad.
Still have to transfer the injector lines, and other accessories. Hopefully I'll have about 5 hours into before I hear it run.
So far, I have resisted the urge to turn up the fuel.
Slow and steady wins the race, and at 237,000 miles, I am not doing burnouts, or even a dyno run.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok.. A little advice about the injecter lines. Hand tighten them all the way down on the injecters. Slight bending is no problem if they wont line up. Using a wrench on the first or second thread is a sure way to cross thread the injecters. The nuts are harder than the injecter threads so theyare ruined before the line nuts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online