How can I Fix this...Plastic :(

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Busted corner in center console...I thought maybe coming up inside w/JB-Weld and try to reform the corner and then paint. Don't know if JB will bite to this type of plastic.
The other corner is getting weak too...I had better reinforce it somehow.

You must be registered for see images attach

DragRag

Reaction score
Cash for clunkers has insured many of those to be at the junk yard. I was just at pick n pull in San Jose, and saw more then one in good shape.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this might sound a little crazy but I bet Billy Mays Mighty Putty would work for this. I bought some of this stuff and have used it for quite a few fixes around the house....plastic, glass etc and it works awesome! I picked it up at Target. I bet you could form it on the corner and then just sand it down and paint. It really is pretty good stuff! ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
HArbour freight sells a plastic welder. I bought one of the things, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. They are supposed to work pretty good.

85f350

stroker
Reaction score
no offense but i would just do it the old fashioned way and sand it down and blend it all into one smooth finish with some body filler it is worth it in the end and then just paint it to whatever color you want it

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no offense but i would just do it the old fashioned way and sand it down and blend it all into one smooth finish with some body filler it is worth it in the end and then just paint it to whatever color you want it
Problem is > "body filler" doesn't stick to the plastic mixing/spreader paddles, how can I expect it to stick to this?

85f350

stroker
Reaction score
it will once you ruff the edges and loos the shine from the factory mold because then you have pores that will adhere the filler to the console i will post pics from my 89 f150 as soon as the wife gets back with my camera and it does hold even in the nny winters

4x7.3NE

Mowoodchopper
Reaction score
How about just putting a big cup in the cup holder or something so you cant see it and forget about it! Just an idea, I sometimes let small things like that worry me to death, but really it doesnt hurt anything. :dunno

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem is > "body filler" doesn't stick to the plastic mixing/spreader paddles, how can I expect it to stick to this?

Well that is definately one cool thing about that putty stuff....it gets hard like bondo, you can work it like bondo and sand it. You could just do that one spot and still paint it...oh yah it'll stick to ANYTHING! Pretty cool stuff!

Oh yah I get royalties for each stick I sell.......no not really.

DragRag

Reaction score
It's never gonna look the same if repaired, just get one from the wrecking yard. your interior will look so much nicer for it rather then a repair. Up to you though really.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The billy mays stuff is basically gas tank patch from what I can tell. That means its an epoxy, so it MIGHT be able to bite into plastic, but it won't be UV resistant. If its painted thoroughly then that won't matter.

I vote to replace the whole thing from a wrecker.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get one thats from a different make of rig, from the pick'a'part if you cant find one from a ford.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a Tuffy console! You WON'T regret it! www.tuffyproducts.com

I put one in my truck and mounted my CB in the radio pocket on the front. It's lockable, and has way better cupholders than the factory console.

Ryan

frank-id

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Center console

I enlarged the cup holders to hold my thermos cup and others. Remove unit and spray foam into both corners, allow to cure for a few days. Now ya can add some fiberglas cloth and resin. The correct paint will make a great resto repair.
Frank

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had one of those in the Moosestang. I took it out and tossed it. Use this as an excuse to upgrade. Either that, or get another one off of ebay, or at a yard. They are a dime a dozen.