horrible ride after urethane bushing swap

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
I had sagging rear cab mounts in my 92 crewcab dually. This past winter when I had the bed off doing the suspension I replaced the cab mounts with urethane replacements. I also did all the spring and shackle bushings too. It used to ride like a Cadillac, now it bucks and kicks on even the small irregularities in the road. I went on a 730 mile trip last weekend and had to ride with my head tilted forward so when it kicked it didn't crunch my neck. I'm not kidding about that. This thing is miserable now. Has anyone else had this experience after replacing bushings with urethane???

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
the poly bushings should ride a bit harder seeing as how they are harder than the rubber, but i have never heard that they ride this hard. i would be looking at the suspension...you said you did spring hanger bushings are the same time, are those in correctly?(the actual shackle it self)

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yup. If I do em again, stock cab bushings for me too. No cushion or flex. Those crew cabs pop and creak something fierce with urethane bushings over very uneven terrain.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also installed them in my ex. Cab not as bad as what your saying but not as good as the old ones that were fallin apart. I hope I never have to touch a thing on my 93 drw it's still got stock shocks front an rear an the truck rides like a flying carpet.

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced all front spring bushings in my ccdw 4x4 and you know need a kidney belt to ride in it on a 7 mile trip to work. After a long day in the heat n sun at work you just wanta put it in a ditch so you can enjoy the relaxing walk home. This was only replaced after the rubber ones were completely wore out. I know parked that upset stomach ride of a truck and am working on a 93 ccdw 4x4 on full air ride, so maybe my wife and kids will actually want to ride in it! Ill NEVER use Polly bushings again!!!!

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced all front spring bushings in my ccdw 4x4 and you know need a kidney belt to ride in it on a 7 mile trip to work. After a long day in the heat n sun at work you just wanta put it in a ditch so you can enjoy the relaxing walk home. This was only replaced after the rubber ones were completely wore out. I know parked that upset stomach ride of a truck and am working on a 93 ccdw 4x4 on full air ride, so maybe my wife and kids will actually want to ride in it! Ill NEVER use Polly bushings again!!!!

I used poly bushings and the truck rides a lot better... Maybe something else is wrong? :dunno

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it's a hard grade of poly

Most are quite hard and provide a solid feel and less flex.

Bottom line want a stock ride use stock parts.

Maybe the shocks need replacement now?

Maybe some good UHMW or Teflon strips between the leaves to help soften things too...

JM2CW

Al

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy, I put Energy Suspension polyurethane cab mounts on the crew cab during the rebuild. Not noticed any difference at all in the ride. They certainly made putting in the engine with the turbo mounted much easier. LOL

I've got to guess the bigger issue is the springs/shackles.

Heath

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
Ya I am suspecting the suspension bushings a lot more than the body mounts. You know I'm wondering about the shackles being over tightened. Also someone mentioned the anti-friction pads. When I burned out my bushings those melted and I neglected to replace them!! That certainly can't help anything! Thanks for the input guys.