HHO on an IDI?!?!?!

tractorman86

Reaction score
i've been thinking about building an hho system for my truck but i am a little foggy on a few things. I've heard you can introduce it into the fuel somehow:dunno, is some highdollar manifold necessery to do this? I've also heard about introducing it into the intake which makes sence to me but will an IDI pull it in? and will there be any ill effects on the turbo seals and such?

tractorman86

Reaction score
my take on it is that with the introduction of an electromagnetic field in a jar of water and lye, baking soda or a few other catylests you begin to create a hydrogen rich vapor. if you vent this vapor into the combustion chamber in some way it is suposed to create a better burn. yealding the effect of better fuel milage, and in my mind there should be a performance gain to boot.

sassyrel

Reaction score
ahhhhh, now get it--yes its possible--but need current, and the right mix---one guy says youll expend more energy than you get--but this was being done at the end of ww2--not much gasoline around--woodgas generators were quite common on cars and tractors also---without benefit of todays technology----

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
you need 2 pieces of metal best to use stainless spaced about an 1/8" apart one negative and the other positive we used a booster pack in just plain water and started getting bubbles we then lit these and wow it sounded like a gun shot going off. now if you use distilled water and and baking soda or other cheamicals it will increase your production. Expend more energy then you'll get depends on what your going for. Add it to your excisting fuel to increase mileage and you'll be way ahead. Try and make enough to run soley on it and yeah you'll probably come out behind.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to burst the hydrogen bubble, but... any gain from an HHO system is very minimal and only comes from the fact that you get more complete combustion with a gas (hydrogen) than a liquid (diesel).
HHO setups, according to all laws of physics known, create drag on the alternator equal to the energy added to the motor by the combustion of the Hydrogen.
When you make the hydrogen you break up a water molecule (two hydrogens and an oxygen)and the two hydrogens bond to form hydrogen gas. That reaction takes energy which comes from the alternator and the harder an alternator works the more it drags on the motor.
When you burn hydrogen you break up those two hydrogens and bond them with oxygen (forming water, a product of combustion). That reaction gives off exactly the same amount of energy it took to break up the water in the first place.

Depending on the efficiency of the alternator and friction of the motor, you actually lose energy in the process, but since you lose alot more energy in the form of unburnt fuel exiting your tailpipe you may notice a slight increase in mileage.
I think most of the mileage increase of HHo systems is the placebo effect.
Thats my .02.

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
who cares it will be fun to do any way, throw a water **** system on there also just for fun.

1Turbo10

Reaction score
HHO should yeald at least 20% increase in mileage. More if you tune for it.
Go to youtube.com and type in browns gas or HHO generator and have fun!

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Depending on the efficiency of the alternator and friction of the motor, you actually lose energy in the process, but since you lose alot more energy in the form of unburnt fuel exiting your tailpipe you may notice a slight increase in mileage.

Umm isn't that the whole point cookoo with the price of fuel it doesn't take a hole lot of improvement to add up. If you look there are people building better and more effeicent generators all the time but if you think its a waste:dunno thats fine the less people doing it just like WVO the better it will keep big brother off our backs that much longer;Really

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think that it would break any laws of physics, and I certainly don't think its possible to run the engine completely off of the HHO generator thats powered by the alternator, but this is simple enough that anyone can make their own generator and see for themselves how well it does or does not work. The idea is that it promotes a more complete burn of the fuel that you are already feeding the engine. Just don't use salt as an electrolyte.

If you read the thread that tradergem posted a link for, you will find that of the few that were able to put the time into the generator, all are posting promising results. Even had one skeptic have a working generator sent to him for free by another guy to see for himself that it does work.

I ran out of time with mine and was never able to prove anything myself, but I am following that thread very closely. If you have the time than try it, thats all I can say. It doesn't cost that much to make one up.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think that it would break any laws of physics,

The first law of thermodynamics (compliments of wikipedia), " In any process, the total energy of the universe remains the same.

It can also be defined as:

for a thermodynamic cycle the sum of net heat supplied to the system and the net work done by the system is equal to zero.

More simply, the First Law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed; rather, the amount of energy lost in a steady state process cannot be greater than the amount of energy gained.

A pithy summation would be "You Can't Win".

This is the statement of conservation of energy for a thermodynamic system. It refers to the two ways that a closed system transfers energy to and from its surroundings - by the process of heating (or cooling) and the process of mechanical work. The rate of gain or loss in the stored energy of a system is determined by the rates of these two processes. In open systems, the flow of matter is another energy transfer mechanism, and extra terms must be included in the expression of the first law.

The First Law clarifies the nature of energy. It is a stored quantity which is independent of any particular process path, i.e., it is independent of the system history. If a system undergoes a thermodynamic cycle, whether it becomes warmer, cooler, larger, or smaller, then it will have the same amount of energy each time it returns to a particular state. Mathematically speaking, energy is a state function and infinitesimal changes in the energy are exact differentials.

All laws of thermodynamics but the First are statistical and simply describe the tendencies of macroscopic systems. For microscopic systems with few particles, the variations in the parameters become larger than the parameters themselves, and the assumptions of thermodynamics become meaningless. The First Law, i.e. the law of conservation, has become the most secure of all basic laws of science. At present, it is unquestioned."

If you want to improve economy in your truck, you have alot more potential for sucess trying to maximise atomation of the diesel and maximising the burn of your liquid fuel and save the HHO generators for the Saturday night infomercial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online