!!!! HELP TRUCK WILL NOT START !!!!!!!!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
As stated above, it's most likely one of the solenoids. I installed a new starter on mine in January due to the same issue (my starter was ancient anyway and I needed a new one) the solenoid on the starter body was toast. Even my new starter does this every couple months for a key turn, then it's fine. Just one of those annoying things that I've come to accept is just going to happen.

Mine did that, then slowly got worse.
Was the fender solenoid going bad.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Bubba_891

Reaction score
Ok got the starter out today man was that fun lol . But gotnit tested and they said it was good watched it engage and everything. The fender solenoid is brand new and works alsoeverything is getting power. Im so confused and frustrated idk where to turn ive done every possible way to get the thing to crank and it wont... if yall have anymore ideas plz throw them my way. I maybe looking at a new complete wiring harness under the hood after this is over with...

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok got the starter out today man was that fun lol . But gotnit tested and they said it was good watched it engage and everything. The fender solenoid is brand new and works alsoeverything is getting power. Im so confused and frustrated idk where to turn ive done every possible way to get the thing to crank and it wont... if yall have anymore ideas plz throw them my way. I maybe looking at a new complete wiring harness under the hood after this is over with...

Mine tested good at two different shops. I still say it wasn't seeing as it would not turn over when it was mounted. Just an observation that bench testing could be unreliable. Who did you have test it?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

First try to turn it over by hand, maybe something is like effed bad???

Otherwise it's gotta go if you jump solenoid on fender. I'm not sure what up but 15/16" socket IIRC is what the bolt in crank is. That would be best turn by hand then go for a jump on solenoid then...if nothing it's got to be solenoid.

Just cause it engages in store, does not mean it will engage and turn over the engine it could spin with no load but not with load of engine....

Good luck!

Bubba_891

Reaction score
thanks and yea engine turns over perfectly fine by hand with no problems. and i do agree just because it turns in store doesn't mean its good. but im gonna swap it tomorrow with a new one an see what happens. if it doesn't start its gonna have a trailer ride home and then im gonna start tearing into it and see what it really is. knowing my luck its a wire that I cant see lol. oh and the people that tested it for me was O'rilley Auto Parts. one question my batteries are 750CCA a piece is that enough? my dads truck had 850CCA.

heck I even put jumper cables from post on starter to the battery and it done nothing. like I said ive tried it all and im at the end of my rope and now my fuse is burning. I just want it back on the road I miss it I hate driving my jeep now when I do have to drive it..

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of yard trucks required the two big wires on the starter to be jumped for the truck to start. Nerve racking and noisy as it was also the truck that needed a flex plate. Anyway, I tugged on the small wire leading from the starter to the fender solenoid and it pulled down out of the wire loom. It was broken off about one foot away from the starter.

Have you tried jumping the two posts on the starter itself with everything hooked up?

jas88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said you hooked up a jumper cable from the battery to the starter. What tim4 is asking is did you jump from the big wire to the little wire on the starter itself?

Bubba_891

Reaction score
when I hooked the cables up I hand the + on the little post and big post - was on frame. then clamped - to - battery post and tapped the + post with the + end. saw my dad do that a time or two always worked for him but mine just set there and done nothing at all. no click no trying to engage nothing..... :/

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are using jumper cables you might need to clamp the Neg. (-) to the starter case or ear of the starter and then to the Neg. (-) on the battery. Just having the starter laying on the frame isn't always conducive to a good ground. Be really careful doing this as the starter has a lot of torque and will usually "take off" - it's easy to lose the Pos. (+) and short and or blow up a battery.

Bubba_891

Reaction score
Ok guys great news!!!! Starter was bad even tho it was testing good on the bench at autozone. So thats out of the way !! Thanks again yall im so happy to have this truck back on the road.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok guys great news!!!! Starter was bad even tho it was testing good on the bench at autozone. So thats out of the way !! Thanks again yall im so happy to have this truck back on the road.

As I said....just cause you list off new parts does not mean they are functioning correctly.

New parts tested on a bench...appear OK, yet when install em they like are NFG...so you look elseware wasting time and $$$ trying to track this ***** down!

Alternators can be load tested, generators can be load tested, starters can be spun..OH look something shiny and the starter spins up ok it's gotta be good..look something else shiny now!

Bottom line I'm glad you are on yer way, now next time invest in a quality part from a quality rebuilder not a partsstorewhorepart!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online