!!!! HELP TRUCK WILL NOT START !!!!!!!!

Bubba_891

Reaction score
Ok so heres the problem truck started and ran just fine to work this morning. now it will not start. Already ALREADY has new Batteries, Starter, Start solenoid. ALL wires are fine and grounded and everything is tight and clean. POWER will come on the everything in the truck and when you go to turn it over it just clicks and that's it. guy I bought it off of said the neutral switch maybe going bad so ran and got one took the old off put new one on didn't move a thing on the switch or the linkage. Tried starting truck again and nothing still just a click and that's all she wrote. SO WHAT IS IT!?!?!?!?!? :dunno:***:;Pissed

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Might be the fender mounted solenoid sticking. It can be jumped by pulling off the wire that just pressed on the lug. then jump it to the hot side of the solenoid. Be sure the trucks in nuetral or park cause your usually standing in front of it when you do this. Might be the ignition switch is failing too but try the solenoid first trick.

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you will need to isolate the click. Is it coming from the passenger side inner fender mounted solenoid? Is it coming from the solenoid on the starter? Is it the starter drive hitting the flywheel? Is it the FSS relay on the injector pump? Is it your relay controlling the glow plugs? Since you have full power to your lights, accys., ect. that is a good sign as you at least have hot batteries and not a drain going on. Get someone to run the key so you can isolate the sound.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just take two screw drivers to connect the two large wires together on the fender solenoid,while the ignition is in the run/forward position.if she starts right up,then it just got cold and was sticking.rap on it a couple times gently and see if it works then.
test for power (when your trying to turn the key all the way forward) at the small wire.-that will let ya know if there's a N safety switch or ignition issue to help ya trace it out.
if crossing screw drivers to make both large post connect,with the key on,just results in a click down at the starter,then tap on the starter and try again.
if you've got a manual trans set the e-brake.don't run over yourself lol.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Test the fender solenoid like Gary said, however if it clicks and still nothing, it could still be bad and there is another trick to testing it. The fender solenoid is not actually switching the starting current. It's just a relay switch for the solenoid on the starter. So you can test it by simply jumping a 12g wire from big terminal to big terminal. (The wire will get warm, but if you HAVE to, you can start the truck like this.) If the starter kicks, then it's just the fender solenoid that's bad, if the starter doesn't kick, then get under it and check all your connections at the starter. (disconnect batteries FIRST before even thinking about touching the big main wire going to the starter, 1200amps can ruin your day FAST) If all your connections at your starter are good, then it's time to pull the starter and replace, because the solenoid on it has likely died.

Bubba_891

Reaction score
one other thing I forgot to add here I tried starting it in neutral and I could here the starter clicking every time I moved and or wiggled the shifter in neutral. but I will try crossing the poles tomorrow when I get to work for I am home tonight and said forget it Ill deal with it later. I just hope this dang thing starts or something for me. but will start there and will work my way down to gently smacking the starter itself. I just hope I put that dang neutral switch correct and didn't have to adjust anything. took it straight out of package and straight on the truck.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As stated above, it's most likely one of the solenoids. I installed a new starter on mine in January due to the same issue (my starter was ancient anyway and I needed a new one) the solenoid on the starter body was toast. Even my new starter does this every couple months for a key turn, then it's fine. Just one of those annoying things that I've come to accept is just going to happen.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so heres the problem truck started and ran just fine to work this morning. now it will not start. Already ALREADY has new Batteries, Starter, Start solenoid. ALL wires are fine and grounded and everything is tight and clean. POWER will come on the everything in the truck and when you go to turn it over it just clicks and that's it. guy I bought it off of said the neutral switch maybe going bad so ran and got one took the old off put new one on didn't move a thing on the switch or the linkage. Tried starting truck again and nothing still just a click and that's all she wrote. SO WHAT IS IT!?!?!?!?!? :dunno:***:;Pissed

just cause u list off new parts....

does in no way mean they are functioning correctly....

sounds like starter solenoid on fender or starter to me.

JM2CW

Bubba_891

Reaction score
Well tried everything y'all said to do and it's still just clicking at the starter even wrapped on the starter itself and nothing happen. So I'm thinking bad starter. What y'all think?

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Test for power at the starter solenoid output, the big wire that goes from the solenoid on the case over to the motor itself.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
I discovered on my starter the wire running from it to the fender broke it's end, so the PO just split the wire and rammed it over the starter connection. Very classy. I'll dig up a photo sometime. Might be worth a look

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
now ya got it narrowed down to just two things.the starter mounted solenoid or the starter.doing good.
now to post #10^ to see which it is. ;Sweet

fyi;
autozone sells remans of the factory gear reduction Mitsubishi starter at a fair price and it's lifetime warrantied.

Last edited:

Bubba_891

Reaction score
Well as for checking for power I'll see if I can get that done by a guy here at work that has the tools. And all the wires and grounds are good. So I'm going to just gently tap the starter solenoid and try to start it because it maybe hung up in there.. Worked on my last truck to just get it home. Navy kinda frowns upon broke down vehicles on base. I'll let y'all know what happens at around 5 est today.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad ground to me. Also, DO NOT whack the starter. You can damage it.

iv found over the years,that if the starter requires a tap with a hammer,then it's not long for this world anyway.the only time you'd tap a starter would be to help you get out of a pinch for a couple days until you can replace it.
beats being stranded.it's worked for me in the past and no doubt will again one day lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7