help needed with rotunda/motorcraft timing kit

tractorman86

Reaction score
make sure you have the probe in close enough i actually started the truck and let it tap the dampner, back it out while watching the tach on the meter. dont know how to do it w/that piezo deal. the glowplug hook up is the most accurate way to do it in my mind. i'm sure you know but just to check you are setting the offset to -20 deg. right? my question is how do you adjust the pump and get it to stay-cuss ? i had a LARGE pair of channel locks on the front stem and got it to 8.5 but couldnt get it to stay long enough to tighten down the mount bolts, it just sprung back where it was possibly farther retarted than before;Pissed ;Pissed ;Pissed .i about had a s#@% hemerage doing it, i guess being 115* and in direct sunlight makes one kinda tempermental.:angel:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary, sounds like it's working in the right direction. Retarding as the RPM's go up. Maybe your offset is +20 instead of -20? Other than that, I'd say your using it correctly, although the bad tach reading is not a good sign.

tractorman86

Reaction score
my question is how do you adjust the pump and get it to stay-cuss ? i had a LARGE pair of channel locks on the front stem and got it to 8.5 but couldnt get it to stay long enough to tighten down the mount bolts, it just sprung back where it was possibly farther retarted than before;Pissed ;Pissed ;Pissed .i about had a s#@% hemerage doing it, i guess being 115* and in direct sunlight makes one kinda tempermental.:angel:

noone huh?i guess i'll take another stab at it this afternoon.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tractorman86,
Is there a 3/4" boss on the front of your IP? If there is you can put a 3/4" open end wrench on it to turn and hold the IP in position while you tighten the driver side mounting nuts. Not all IPs have this front side boss, in which case you can either buy the proper tool for the job. See tools here http://webpages.charter.net/idi_diesel/tools_001.htm or maybe make your own tool if you have a welder and some material. Good luck.
Jim

tractorman86

Reaction score
that helped a bunch, unfortunately i put it up for the night and someone must have dropped the lum probe, the lens in the middle was cracked all to hell the very next day so it's a nogo untill i get that shipped in. anyone know where to buy new a luminocity probe?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OUch! You could be in serious trouble. Replacement parts for timing systems for our trucks are rare as hens teeth.

tractorman86

Reaction score
yea, that's what i am afraid of! i'm talkin to the big ford dealer in the valley(sanderson ford) HOPPING they have it or can get it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well... I took my truck and had the timing checked. It was 8.5 BTDC..... I checked it with the Rotunda meter and it said 17.8 BTDC....At 2000 rpm both times.cookoo I'm really wondering whats differant about how I did it and the shop did it. This time the rpm on the meter showed 770 rpm and the last time I used it the meter showed 430 rpm. I'm wondering if its the magnetic probe setting. Seems the closer to the wheel it is the closer the rpm reading is...

tractorman86

Reaction score
yea if it isn't close enough it wont pick up every rotation and that would throw off your advance reading