help needed with rotunda/motorcraft timing kit

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought this timing kit at an auction and forwarded it to a "deserving" member here. It wasn't complete(no lumy probe) but had the 7.3 adapter.
anybody know how to use this thing?
it would make "Mr. Redline" very happy.
.....thought I downloaded the pics, but I didn't
It's a Rotunda 78-0100 unit.
will post pics later if it helps.

sassyrel

Reaction score
find a decent ferd dealer, and ask them--they may help ya---

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These directions are for the lumy, but may help to some extent. To use the 7.3 adapter, just clip it to the collar on the #1 injection line (usually covered by a plastic sleeve to protect it), of course this won't exist on a 6.9, so to time one of those you would need the #1 cylinder adapter, and a timing line for #1 off a 7.3 (hence the reason I like the Snap-On MT-1480 better). The offset to dial in on either meter is 20.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This does help but... Where do I set up the timing lite thats got the adjustable knob on it? What is the knob used for? BTW, I'm the guy that needs the help...:D The timing is set to what.... 8.5 BTDC or???

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with a Rotunda meter that has a timing light. I would assume you'd set the timing light to 20 degrees ofset too. :dunno

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an Alltest timing meter with the pulse transducer and timing light. Maybe it works similar to your Rotunda unit? After hooking up the pulse tranducer as close to the #1 injector as I can I then start the truck and then use the advance/retard buttons on the meter or the back of the timing light to line up the timing marks on the damper with the block timing indicator. I then look at the degree reading on the meter and then I know how far to adjust the IP after shutting off the engine. It's pretty much like timing a gasser, only the timing light is activated by the pulse transducer instead of a sparkplug.
Jim

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Rotunda meter has the long flexible probe with the large handle on it. The probe goes in the tall slender tube on the timing tab at the damper. Push the pickup all the way to the damper, then pull back almost 1/16" so the damper does not touch the end. I have to feed mine under the VP and into the tube to keep away from rotating accessories. 8.5 degrees BTDC @ 1200 rpm. I just screw in the idle adjuster until the meter shows 1200.

Rick

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Rick, I follow that but.... What tells me that I'm timed right or wrong? Will I see a flash at the probe on the dampner timing mark? Without a lite blinking thru a timing lite I don't see how this rotunda meter works. Maybe tomorrow when I try it out things will explain themselves. I'm just missing something. The flex probe that you talk about with the large handle on it. Does the handle look like the handle on a briggs & stratton pull rope starter? If so I have that connected to the box that says "Use with 7.3L engines". Then I have the pluse probe with the extra line that has the alagator clip on it. Does the clip go to ground or what? I know where the pulse adapter goes. Other wire leads coming out of the box goes to battery positive and ground. Then it has a gray lead that looks like its for the luminosity probe, I don't have the glow plug probe fitting but really don't need that. Why is the rpm set at 1200 instead of 2000? Mel told me that the offset angle is 20 degrees for both the 6.9 and 7.3 motors so thats where I'm setting it. So 8.5 BTDC @ 1200 rpm..... I still don't see what will tell me where I am when I'm doing this. Thanks and post back with any more info. I really need a hand here...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Rick... I think I have this figured out. The extra clip on the pluse lead is to ground. The meter itself will tell me what the timing is set at. Then I shut things down and set it again and recheck by running the motor again. Gees.... Sometimes I feel like I'm dumb and blonde but... Its just old burned out brain cells firing wildly... Sometimes at random....:dunno cookoo :D

suv7734

Reaction score
Gary,

From these instructions it looks like the 7.3 adapter to #1 replaces the need for the lumi probe. Although they are not complete in any manner this may help some (from Autozone site).

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well... I tried to check my timing but not a chance. With the meter hooked up, probe in the tall slender hole about 1/16 off the dampner I see around 35 BTDC degrees at 1200 rpm. Around 28 BTDC at 1400 and at 2000 its 17 degrees advanced.:dunno cookoo I set the offset at 20 degrees too. My idle on the meter shows 430 but my truck is showing 750 and sounds just as it always has. I really am in the dark here. I'm tending to lean towards the meter being faulty but I have no way to test it..... Other than the rpm being low on it.....:dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The piezo hookup is on the #1 injector line that has the fitting between it and the injector. Its clean and tight. The ground is near that also. I'm not sure what else to do. Still wondering how this meter works. I feel I have it set up correctly but having never done it or not knowing what my timing is set at now just adds to all this. I will have to beleive something eventually I guess.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my Alltest meter I either use the piezeo pulse sensor on the #1 injector line or I use the magnetic pickup sensor. I can't use both at the same time because the magnetic pickup uses the 20* offset to make up for where it is located on the block timing indicator, while with the pulse sensor I line up the timing line on the damper with the 0* mark on the block timing indcator and then use the advance/retard buttons on the meter to check the amount of degrees advanced or retarded. Also the magnetic pickup has to be as close to the damper as possible without actually touching it in order for it to give you stable accurate readings. Good luck. Jim

One more thing. If your using the pulse sensor the injector line has to be clean of all paint, rust, dirt, dry, and when connecting the pulse sensor to the line becareful not to over-tighten it or it will not read correctly.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks trader.... I will try using just the magnetic hookup tomorrow and not the lead to the #1 linector line.