HELP! need help getting spindle assembly off Dana 60

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a u joint out on the driver side of my F350. It was making lots of noise so I thought "I better change it before the snow storm gets here". So I take off the wheel, non-locking hub, rotor, and then... the spindle won't come off? I've used heat, PB Blaster, a BIG hammer, chisel... no go:confused: I have removed the studs that hold the spindle to the knuckle, not sure what else to do. I tried using a puller but it wouldn't work:dunno. How do you guys get these things off.

This is a fairly nice truck, and is not a northern rust bucket. I have no idea if the spindle has ever been off, but it should be easier than this. Please help, I need to get this thing back together by tonight so that I can use it tomorrow.

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It won't wiggle, the spindle will not move. I would imagine it is rusted solid to where it mounts, but I am sure that most trucks would be this bad if not worse. Not sure where else to go. I read about someone tying a strap around the spindle, hooking the other end of the strap to their truck, and pulling until the spindle popped free.

Sounds like it could work (or break something), but I have no idea how you would keep it on the jack stand. Hope someone has a better idea!

joe f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my d60 has five of them that hold the spindle to the nuckel

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have removed all five nuts and pounded the studs out as well. There should be nothing holding this thing on, just can't get it off. What next??? Should I try and acquire a torch to use, all I have is a propane torch which I don't think will heat it enough.

joe f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is y i have a big ruber hammer so i can beat on it and not damge it have i tryed leting it soak in wd40 or simaler porduct

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that you have the nuts off the spindle, it should ony be held on by two things, the tight fit between spindle and knuckle, and rust. Soak in PB first, and I had to make a hammer out of a 1 foot section of 6x6 to get one off once. Any such soft hammer with enough mass to hit hard will do.

What I do: take the hammer and beat the crap out of the spindle in one direction until you can drive a flathead, chisel, or any such metal wedge like item between the spindle and the knuckle. Then reverse the beating and knock it toward the wedge. Repeat if necessary alternating sides, although ths should work pretty quickly.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
2x4 block of wood, 2 pound hammer, goggles.
Installation is the reverse of removal, just add anti seize.

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I beat on it for 20 minutes with a 3ft long piece of 4x4... no movement. I am not popeye but I am not a small guy (6'2" 240lbs) and I was swinging with all of my might (broke 2 pieces of 4x4 into splinters). Would it work better if I took a piece of 2x4 and placed it on the spindle to use as a buffer, and then hit it with an 8 lb sledge???

Please help, it's -5 windchill and I can't get the truck into the shop (just the nose). I would love to be able to get this thing off before it gets really cold!

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I beat on it for 20 minutes with a 3ft long piece of 4x4... no movement. I am not popeye but I am not a small guy (6'2" 240lbs) and I was swinging with all of my might (broke 2 pieces of 4x4 into splinters). Would it work better if I took a piece of 2x4 and placed it on the spindle to use as a buffer, and then hit it with an 8 lb sledge???

Please help, it's -5 windchill and I can't get the truck into the shop (just the nose). I would love to be able to get this thing off before it gets really cold!

Heck I'm 5'7" but I work as a mason for years and never had one resist Me. I feel if You use a 8lbs sledge You will suffer, I would stay with the 2lbs hammer and 2x4.

and a lil heat will help as well.

coletrain777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried heating it with a small propane torch (all I have), but that did nothing. I guess I probably need an acetylene torch setup. I don't think this spindle has ever been removed, if it has it's been a long time. So should I just hit the end of the spindle on one side for a long time, and then switch to the other side? I have tried for hours to do it this way and I think it has budged the width of a few hairs, but still not enough to get a chisel or screwdriver between the surfaces to pry.

I feel like such an idiot, I have a nice fully equipped shop, have worked on cars for years but can't get a spindle off :(

Any other ideas???

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1- get a jack and put pressure on the spindle.
2- get a BFH(big fckn hammer)
3- hit the top of the knuckle with all you got and do it many times.
4- the vibration and the weight applied to the spindle by the jack will vibrate it out of the knuckle.
5- chances are you will ruin the axle seal next to the pumpkin when you pull your axle out. be gentle to it the best you can.
6- good luck!;Sweet
check out my thread from a while back.....
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15675

Exekiel69

Reaction score
1- get a jack and put pressure on the spindle.
2- get a BFH(big fckn hammer)
3- hit the top of the knuckle with all you got and do it many times.
4- the vibration and the weight applied to the spindle by the jack will vibrate it out of the knuckle.
5- chances are you will ruin the axle seal next to the pumpkin when you pull your axle out. be gentle to it the best you can.
6- good luck!;Sweet
check out my thread from a while back.....
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15675

^
||
If this don't work, then go back and get that torch, that sucker wants to die.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok old school idea here...slip the hub back on with bearings installed...tighten wheel bearings as normal...install tyre tightn a couple 4 lugs. grab the top and bottom and work in out up down...added leverage on the spindle.

If that won't work....remove wheel. Leave hub on. Take a big efn chain...attatch to a couple of lugs and use big washers to hold chain on take a second chain attatch to lugs and slip around springs to act as a stop so if it comes off it don't hit u. Take the first chain, hopefully a nice 3/8 or so and 20 ft long....stand at end of chain pull it tight and then whip it like a gorilla on the end playing crack the whip. that should shake that sucker off. the chain method is one of my favorites.

Just make sure you have that second chain secured or if it comes of it surely will come right at you and u won't know till you get up dazed and confused that you got the hub and spindle off. Oh ya the bump on your head will be large...DONT ask how I know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online