Help! Clutch problems?

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck recently started having a problem and I'm not sure what it could be. When I shift into any gear and let out the clutch, there is a grinding noise and it stops when I push the clutch back in. Then if I let the truck idle down it goes in fine. And it shifts into gear fine without grinding. It only grinds when letting out the clutch. And it only does this half the time. What could be the problem?

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya that's what I'm leaning towards. I wasn't sure if that was it or if the clutch going but the clutch seems fine.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure I follow when you are having a problem. You can or cannot get the clutch to engage/disengage.............. or your tranmission doesn't shift well with a normally engaged clutch? What transmission are we talking about......... T19 or ZF5? A little more info please.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First question is to ask yourself this... Have you ever pulled your clutch fork, and cleaned the old grease off your trans input shaft sleeve, and re-greased the sleeve, the Fork tips, and the pivot ball? If the answer is no, then be advised. These things should be done once a year. Quarterly if you have dusty conditions or high heat in your environment. This is more critical if you have a T-19. Less so for the ZF, but still very highly recommended. Clutch problems begin with a lack of maintainance, which leads to higher pedal effort than is needed, extra stress on the hydraulics, and metal fatigue on the fork and mounting ears.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's actually an np435 that I threw behind my 7.3 cuz I had it laying around and didnt want an auto. The problem is gear grinding when you release the clutch, after you have already shifted. It's not the TOB or the clutch. Now I'm thinking maybe the sync toes are going bad in the tranny and maybe it's just not going into gear all the way? But half the time it shifts fine. And it feels like its going into gear even the times when it makes the grinding noise

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see. It does sounds like an interal issue with the transmission. I've never seen a NP435 on the back of an IDI. Post up some photos if you have them. We enjoy see/reading about different swaps of hardware.

Heath

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I'll post picks once I get it back together. It's on a 69 f100 btw