Heavy Crap

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What we used to do... shovel the snow off the walk into the bed of the truck and kill 2 birds with 1 stone. A bed full of packed snow is a good bit of weight... and it'll melt away when its no longer needed.

Takes a bit of work... but if you are doing it anyways.. might as well make it work for you.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as noone has mentioned the obvious choice.
put a set of 05+ axles in the bed, altho it would do you alot better if you stuck em under the truck.:D

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
What we used to do... shovel the snow off the walk into the bed of the truck and kill 2 birds with 1 stone. A bed full of packed snow is a good bit of weight... and it'll melt away when its no longer needed.

Takes a bit of work... but if you are doing it anyways.. might as well make it work for you.

I've used that trick too... When I was in college, I was a delivery driver for a local NAPA. My delivery truck was a 92 Ranger 2wd. When it snowed, I would scoop all the snow from around the truck and put it in the bed..... that little Ranger didn't do too bad with that load of snow..... Anyone that has ever run a snow shovel knows how heavy snow can be......

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I just never shoveled the snow out of the bed! A few years ago we were getting it pretty good (every year). Got that layer of snow, layer of ice, anow, ice, etc for abot 10-12". There was enough in the bed that I had to chip my way to the toolbox and thank god I didn't need to get to a spare!

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My diesel truck was the first 4wd truck I owned for a winter. Always had the bronco but i want about to waste it in the salt.

2wd 4cyl 5 speed Rangers were my beater of choice. Throw 2-300 in the bed, studded tires and if it started to spin just keep shifting until it runs out of power to turn the wheels. Never got stuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 4 pretty heavy rims from neighbors truck, I threw those and some wood in the bed and put a tarp over everything and bungee corded some stuff to help there be minimal movement of stuff back there, I was able to go halfway and stop and start again and get right up in 5 inches of snow so I think we're good here. Didn't drive it to work today though, low of 9 and feels like -11 for the night = straight six weather.

StBernardnot

Reaction score
I used to get a ton of gravel & shovel it to the front of the bed. Level with the sides. It would freeze in (N. Iowa) & come spring thaw, I'd go around & fill holes in the neighbors driveways.

furfishgame

Reaction score
I got a piece lf 12 inch plate steel.. Same length as my bed, width is the narrowest part between wheel wells. Beauty of that is it doesnt take any room. Granted i have a 4x4 but i like the extra traction when plowing.