Heavy Crap

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is some heavy crap some of you guys have put in your beds before in 2wd trucks to help get up a steep driveway? I've never had to get bags of sand and wouldn't know where to get something like this that's "safe" I have plenty of wood and cement bricks but.. Yeah doesn't seem the safest. Anything easy to go get for this? I made it out tonight but barely (thanks to the posi rear end) but I could feel it hopping and just needing more gravity. Honestly did pretty well for five inches of snow and the steepness of the driveway.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll just end up dumping it all on my driveway but that's a decent thought. Everyone has always said bags of sand like their sold at Walmart but until you need it you never really give it much thought.

kcconfq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are purpose made bed weights, or find a road plate getting scrapped and cut it to fit.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Water buffalo rubber bed tank,
Do get one with dividers so it don't slosh around.or wake boat ballast bags.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3'×4'×10" thick block concrete on pallet 1000 lbs scaled

So W 2x fuel full and dry box n winter weght as i call it...the cement block...

Front axle 1930 kilo
Rear axle 1000 kilo

Superb ride and go anywhere.

Last edited:

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Cheapo bags of sand from Lowe's. They make/sell tubes of sand specifically for bed weights. Old lady had some in her Ranger, but bags didn't make it that long. I was planning on two or four 40-80 lbs bags of general cheap sand.

Before Bruiser was 4x4, I used careful driving/throttle feathering and speed. Parents driveway is a steep incline and at one point I screamed the 300 sixer from 2nd gear to 5th, then back down to 2nd when cresting the hill. Not recommended...but worked.

Lowe's/Home Depot. Sand bags. In case of an accident, they're more likely to "squish" in the bags versus solid materials attempting to bust through the cab.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sand + a 50lb bag or two of calcium. Always had them in my 2wd ranger in case your really stuck you can melt the snow and ice around the tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2wd trucks are about the worst vehicle you could have in the winter and really don't belong out there on snow covered roads.
if at all possible,park the truck and run a cheap little front wheel drive beater car for the winter months.not only will it go so much better,you'll be a lot safer plus you get to save your truck.who cares if ya let the road salt eat away a little 4-500 car i say.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Large bags of cat litter....

Large bags of charcoal....

Don't get a false sense of security because of "squishy" sand....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5J16pLeVYw

It's a bit long.... but its worth the watch.... watch what happens with the sand......

Very true. Precisely why I put it in parentheses :D Anything at a high enough force turns into a projectile. Sand in a bag is no different, but less likely to punch a hole through the 2-3 layers of sheet metal skin between it and the driver/passengers.

I never weighted Bru8ser in the winter, but that's because I had 2 fully inflated spare tires in the bed. One 35x12.50x15 for the front (50-60lbs) and a 37x12.50x16.5 for the rear (70-80lbs). Both on steel wheels of course. Plus 100-200 lbs of tools, recovery equipment and other parts that I should've removed from the toolbox.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I built a box to fit between the wheel well and tailgate on my truck. In it is 8 case ih tractor weights, weighing about 125 lbs a piece. The 1000 lbs of tractor weights, plus about 800 lbs of veggie oil and good studded tires means my 2 wd can hold its own really well on icy and snow covered roads. Unfortunately, of I ever got into a major accident, those tractor weights would demolish everything in their path.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk