heads are on! kinda...

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the heads in place after replacing head gaskets. Weather was bad today, so arp lube didn't come. All I need to do is put the lube on and tighten the heads down. I have the intake valley pan on, the intake manifold, and pump and injectors on. If everything comes tomorrow, I should get it buttoned up. Should the intake manifold be torqued in any way or order? Also, is there any place I can find the diagram for which injector line goes to which injector, or which port on the pump goes to which injector. I took all of that off like an idiot... Will try to post pics of progress

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No data on intake manifold that I see. Diagram below:
You must be registered for see images attach

hope this helps

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats a great pic of the cylinder numbers on the pump. If your having issues finding which cylinder is which on the engine just look at the intake runner near the head port. Its cast right into the manifold runners. If thats not available its this... On the drivers side closest to the radiater the numbers are 2-4-6-8. Passenger side at the radiater its 1-3-5-7. Also on the passenger side of the intake manifold next to the air horn is the fireing order... So now you know..:angel::D

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I not have put the intake manifold on without the heads being torqued down? I know the head will move some, but did I make a mistake?

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one with my finger in it is the cylinder that ate a glow plug end. There was a little dent in the piston as well. This is before i had them pressure checked and cleaned.

Attachments

• head2.jpg
    head2.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 7
  • head 3.jpg
    head 3.jpg
    779.3 KB · Views: 8

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Should I not have put the intake manifold on without the heads being torqued down? I know the head will move some, but did I make a mistake?

Just placing the intake manifold on the heads is not going to harm anything. But if you tightened down the intake to the heads before the heads are torqued down then you made a mistake. There will be way too much stress acting on the intake when the heads are tightened down. So loosen the intake before tightening the heads. Make sure the intake bolts are loose enough to move the intake on the heads. You don't want any force making it hard to get the heads down tight. Why did you attempt this intalling the intake before the heads were tight...:dunno

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because I am a rookie lol. And I didn't have the arp lube our the last arp stud yet.I had to order them because I bent one stud. Was just trying to get things buttoned up before hand

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How bad of a mistake did I make Gary?

It can cause a fair amount of stress on the intake in manners it was not designed for. I don't see it cracking but it could be a possibility.

In esses it's going to pull down and outward on the on the intake. Thats why its important to follow procedure.

Im not sure that lossening them and re torquing them is a great idea but it likely won't hurt.

My concern is the valley pan gasket and if it will reseal.

I am not sure what the best thing to do would be.

If it was me I'd likely pop the intake and get a new valley pan/gasket and do it right, but that's me!

I'm sure another will chime in and offer up some advice,

Oh and don't worry bout being a rookie and making rookie mistakes

If ever in doubt, ....slow down, ask, and wait for answers....they will come.

JM2CW

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Al's posting above is correct. We all have been where you are and mistakes are part of trying. Asking questions helps us to learn without making a mistake too. The right thing to do is replace the intake manifold gasket but you can also just loosen it and torque down the heads. There will be movement of the heads and intake but it will be smal. Just watch for any binding of the bolts to the manifold when you tightening down the heads. Lightely tapping the intake with a hammer will shock it to loosen it up too. Just don't use a 4 lb hammer and really slug the heck out of it. Light taps and feel the joint with your fingers for the movement you want. It wont jump and bite a finger. It will feel like a vibration. I have seen gasser mechanics remove one head and leave the intake on the engine. Then slide the head back on the block and torque it down. Then tighten the intake to the head.. This is not the right way of doing this work but somt take all kinds of short cuts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online