headers for a IDI?

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
ok i'm trying to get my posting numbers higher so here goes:D
are headers worth the trouble on a old IDI?
i've heard some guys say that with dual exhaust they make just as much power as a turbo:rolleyes: ,is this true?
next question is if i got headers would it still make decent power if i used my current banks three inch single exhaust?
last question is there anyone that makes them for the IDI besides STANS?
so in closing am i beating a -Deadhorse,should i just break down and buy that turbo?
thanks guys this site and its smilies kick ass!!!!!!!!!!

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
You still got to get the air in as well as out. Nothing takes the place of a turbo as far as I know. The boost from the turbo is what we need to get the most efficient fuel burn.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard headers aren't a good option for the IDI. Can't remember why, but the net result was a loss in performance or a gain so insignificant as to waste the money spent on their purchase.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recal reading mixed reviews over the years on TDS. Some people were extremely happy with them, others felt it was a waste of money. It may have something to do with the general health of the motor to start with. Headers will only reduce back presure and create a free flowing exhaust, so maximum horsepower gains can't be more than 20HP I would think. A turbo lets you put more fuel to it, which is of course going to give more power, so the economics are key.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question is, how much louder is the exhaust noise with headers, I know on a gas motor the exhaust sound is more noticeable with headers........... Jim

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never seen headers for a diesel, but would they inhibit putting a turbo on if you decided to later?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Never seen a set but I gather they would exit at the same place the stock manifolds do because if I'm not mistaken they are a drop in replacement. I remember looking at them and they claim only a couple horse less than the turbo'd trucks at extreme RPM levels I sort of went :rolleyes: my butt... I then ordered the turbo a few months later and was :D

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
okay so the turbo is the way to go,i kinda already new that.
but,i dont ever plan on putting a turbo on this truck,it needs body work and really by the time i got any money saved for turbo it would have to go towards body work.
anyway,last i checked headers from STANS were about $600.00
just looking for somthing different to do to the old girl for just a shade more power.
trying to save my money for (i'm ready for a swonk here) my uncles 97 f-350 4x4 powerstroke with 5,000 original miles on it.
please dont :shoot: me to bad.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
No Swonking From Me!

5,000 miles on a '97?! You have to buy that. That's like a new truck. How much will you have to pay for it, if you don't mind my asking?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
5k miles :eek: man does he even know it's still in the garage? I can't imagine owning a vehcile and not driving it at least a few thousand miles (especially a truck). Even Sherri's vehicles (which really don't get driven much (might get touched once or twice a month) even get some mileage on them.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by argve
Never seen a set but I gather they would exit at the same place the stock manifolds do because if I'm not mistaken they are a drop in replacement.
I also haven't ever seen a set, but I thought someone once said that they were longer than the stock manifolds, so they wouldn't exit at the same place.

If what I just said's wrong, hmm...I wonder if it might be worthwhile to give it a try on a turbo'ed engine? The goal with headers is to make it so the exhaust pulses are hitting the "main" pipe at even intervals, right? That would, theoretically, mean that the pulses would be hitting the turbo turbine at even intervals...I wonder if that would make the turbo work more efficiently?

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience with headers is unless you are running "TUNED" headers they are of little value. The whole thing with headers is to get the pulse to hit the end of the pipe at a timed interval to create a vacuum to help clear the cyl of burnt gas and relive back pressure. Now adding more piping will defeat the purpose of headers unless the whole system is tuned............... Jim

WPineF

Rider of the Dragon
Reaction score
I remember someone doing a set over on TDS about a year ago or more but can't remember seeing any results put out. I want to say it was one of the guys out west that did it.

Dave

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
yeah he knows its in the garage.:) he had a 96 f-350 gasser and i convinced him to trade for this 97 diesel instead.he used to haul hay with a fith wheel trailer but has now sold his cows so it just sits.he keeps his things emaculate and this truck is no exception.
he keeps wisp brooms in his tractors to keep the dirt out and covers the hoods at night to keep scratches of them.
he has mentioned he would like to sell it for around $10,000 :D
i would pay that for it in a heart beat
i think you guys are slipping,i didnt even get a little SWONK about swaping the old IDI for a power joke.i even had my flame siut on:( :)
any way from all the stuff i've seen headers are longer than the stock manifolds so a custom exhaust would be in order

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well you don't have to worry about me swonking - they took my lightsaber away. But if you want to really stir them up join me get a Goat... LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.