Head stud install

allgonoshow

Reaction score
I am going to be installing head studs soon in my 86 6.9. My question is this. Can I install them with the engine still in the truck? It looks like there rear studs are going to be tough to install. While im on the subject could someone give me a part # from ARP for the studs. Thanks guys.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The ARP part number for studs is typ4.... AKA Russ.... Drop him a message...

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ARP actually sells a real kit for the 6.9L I think there a bit smaller in diam. then the 7.3L. I had to pull my engine to mess with studs.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to be installing head studs soon in my 86 6.9. My question is this. Can I install them with the engine still in the truck? It looks like there rear studs are going to be tough to install. While im on the subject could someone give me a part # from ARP for the studs. Thanks guys.

Funny you ask this question, I just posted the same thing yesterday.

With the evaporator box off, they say it can be done. I will be doing mine Easter weekend, so we'll see.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Somebody last year reported switching bolts to studs with the heads still on. He changed them out one at a time and reported no ill affects. Good luck!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2. Look up that post. It's the bible on doing it at the moment.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody last year reported switching bolts to studs with the heads still on. He changed them out one at a time and reported no ill affects. Good luck!

I dont know what the OP plans on doing but my heads are off at the moment, so the studs are going on with new gaskets.

allgonoshow

Reaction score
Good luck man! Let me know how it goes. I need to pull the heads because while INSTALLING NEW motorcraft beru glowplugs I twisted off a glowplug tip in the head....ughhh. I knew it was going a little tough so I started to back out the new plug and pop! The autolite ones that were in the engine came out fine but when installing one of the new berus it was like it was swelled a little? And before anyone asks they were the correct glowplugs. Anyway I have to pull the heads and while I am at it I am going to install the head studs for my turbo that I have laying around.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While im on the subject could someone give me a part # from ARP for the studs. Thanks guys.

For the 6.9 stud kit.......... ARP Part Number: 150-4069

CNC-Motorsports has them for a very hard to beat price of $212.60. Shipping was like $10 and they drop ship from ARP.

I'd also pick up a tube of ARP fastener lube. The little packet that comes with the studs is not likely to be sufficent for all those studs, washers, and nuts used on the IDI.

Heath

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so how did the head install go vegas?

I havent done it yet. The truck is 300 miles away from me.
My cousin inlaw is putting most of it back together and I'm going down Easter weekend to finish and drive it home.

I'll let you know more after that weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger