Head Scratcher.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Ok this has only happened once or twice before, but tonight was enough to make me jack the truck up and look for 20 minutes for a problem.

If I crank the wheel to hard lock while leaving an intersection (either direction), my steering wheel feels like it's binding up and won't return to center fully. I can make it go back to center, but there is pressure there that won't let the steering wheel center freely.

When I bring the wheel back manually, it's like the wheel pulls the front tires beyond center and the truck sort of death wobbles very slowly.

I can't find slack in ANYTHING. Spring bushing, shackle bushing, U bolts, track bar (mounts, brackets and bushing) tie rod, steering box bolts, drag link, pitman arm to steering box splines, cracks in teh frame or crossmember......there is virtually NOTHING. the ball joints are tight, all linkages are tight.....I don't know.

I know this, I am going to throw some ball joints and steering linkages at it.....replace it all for ease of mind. It's scary when it does it, but it's usually at low speed.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
OH> I checked the steering shaft for plat, and the column and shaft are like new.....so rule that out as well. It;s like one of the ball joints or wheel dearings are binding, but I can't find anything on first inspection.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How's your steering gearbox? It sounds to me almost like the lash adjustment is too tight...which is interesting; usually the problem's the other way around. But, certainly, a gearbox that's too tight will have issues with the wheel returning to center...

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Had the same problem with my Crown Vic at one point.. Dont know f its really rellevant.. But it needed a PS Fluid Flush.

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's your steering gearbox? It sounds to me almost like the lash adjustment is too tight...which is interesting; usually the problem's the other way around. But, certainly, a gearbox that's too tight will have issues with the wheel returning to center...

this sounds like exactly the problem you are seeing

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When this happened to me it was the alignment jerk.. The fool had rotated the adjustment sleeves down and in certain turning conditions the bolt would contact the sway bar and lock up the steering. Look for a rub mark on the sway bar. Has the alignment been done reciently...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might be a binding U joint,

Suggestion prior to parts purchase

Jack up and support front axle with wheels off the ground,

Disconnect steering linkage to pitman arm THIS eliminates the box

Disconnect one end of steering linkage to one side of truck ...so both wheels can turn/swing independently....

Now you can test full sweep each side and without the box, you can test ball joints etc for all steering related issues.

LOCK in the hubs, turn wheel/axle 1/4 turn test the full sweep of steering, then turn 1/4 turn of wheel/axle and test again and one more time, this rotates the ujoints in the axles and provides you the best way to test the front steering.

Make sure of course simple things wheel bearigns etc in good order!

JM2CW

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have had this happen to, might as well do all the joints while you are in there. the rest are probably not far behind, they actaully seem to wear out more from lack of use. its good to excercise your 4X4 a couple of times a month to keep it fresh.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Yea, what drives me up the wall is not the fact that it had to be done, or the cost...but rather my lack of time to complete the job. However, that being said, the job is now complete. Took me a week to diagnose it and about 2 hours to tear it all down and repair it, but the job is done. Thank GOD!

HOWEVER, upon tear down, I found the outer front wheel bearing on the driver side was beginning to show signs of wear. Next weekend, I am buying a set of bearings (I have one set ready to go minus the seal) and I am going to replace ALL front wheel bearings to save me any headaches later on down the road. The front passenger side axle joint was new when I did the D60 swap in 2010, and it gets regular use so I am lucky enough to say ti is still fine, tight and showing no signs of wear.

Thanks to all who applied, but the winner was Riot on this one. Thanks for the help as always.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online