Head gaskets

suv7734

Reaction score
Coming at ya... Make sure you lube the threads AND washers with oil before installation if you don't already know that.

Attachments

• 7.3head_seq.gif
    7.3head_seq.gif
    70.5 KB · Views: 53

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone got four head bolts, some of mine were really pitted and I only had three extras.

What does the rocker arms torque at?

I had four pre-chambers that looked like they had crackes, small ones??? I am taking the heads to a shop tomorrow. The rest of the engine looked great, pistons one wipe and looked like new, no ridge rim at all.

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't think my heads looked too bad, boy was I wrong,

2 broken intake valve springs, one prechamber, eights exhaust gudies and eight exhaust valves.

Crap:mad:

chamber $42
8 Valve springs, $2.32 each "good deal"
Eight valves, $35.48 each :dunno
$250 for the head guy.

My local IH dealer said these were Avistar valves, ford valves were $45 each and no longer aviable.

Oh well, at least I know what I have, maybe I won't drop a valve like others have done. I will post some pics tonight.

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well she is ready to go back together, $637 for head repair, $200 in gaskets and stuff.

Spent three hours tonight cleaning die and taping my head bolts.

Oh, thanks h20drx for the fast head bolts, only mine is a 7.3, let me know what I owe ya anyway, I can send them back but I need to pay you for the shipping, I found four bolts local to use.

Hear are some pics of my stuff, takin my time doin it right I hope.

What does the rocker arms tighten down too?

Attachments

• IMG_4376.JPG
    IMG_4376.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4377.JPG
    IMG_4377.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4378.JPG
    IMG_4378.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4379.JPG
    IMG_4379.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4380.JPG
    IMG_4380.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4382.JPG
    IMG_4382.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4381.JPG
    IMG_4381.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 22

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice looking work. The block is no where near clean enough for the head gaskets to hold. Use a scotch Brite pad that is used in the kitchen for cleaning dishes and pans. Then wash with brake cleaner. It wont leave any residue at all. Sometimes after I wipe the heads and block with a shop rag it leaves some threads and fuzz behind. I then use a propane torch and flash burn it off. Also did you check how much the valves are sunk in the seats? How much did they mill the heads? Head thickness is 4.795 to 4.805 and the precups are above or below the head 0.0025. Thats plus or minus 2 1/2 thousands. Intake valve is set 42 to 54 thousands below the head. The exhaust is set 51 to 63 thousands below the head deck. These are very important demensions so check them if you can. The valve rocker bolt torque is 20 ft lbs. I go to 24 lbs just because I feel better there.

Last edited:

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both intake and exhaust average .040 and a little greater, the new felpro head gasket is .075.

I usually deck sand the block with 600 grit sand paper on a rubber block with brake clean.

Head bolts are ploished like new and will be lubed with antiseize before installed.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't use anti-sieze on those head bolts. I don't know what that would do to your torque values. Motor oil is what the torq specs were developed for.

suv7734

Reaction score
Both intake and exhaust average .040 and a little greater, the new felpro head gasket is .075.

I usually deck sand the block with 600 grit sand paper on a rubber block with brake clean.

Head bolts are ploished like new and will be lubed with antiseize before installed.

Are you meaning .040" on the valve recession? If so that is not to spec. Spec is .042"- .054" on the intake and .051"- .063" on the exhaust. It looks like they used a belt and did a re-surfacing on the heads. If that is true then you really need to check the minimum thickness like Gary said since that is critical to all other parameters. Were any of the valve seats replaced? These heads should never be surfaced unless they are out of spec. (warped more than .006" overall). Lube the bolts AND washers with engine oil ONLY before torquing. Be sure you use a BOTTOMING tap not a regular tap to chase the threads in the block and blow/vacuum all the crud out.
On edit
When looking at some of the pics you posted the valve stems seem to be the same length (exhaust/intake) on one of the cylinders which is not correct (Gary can tell you all about that). I would suggest you get in there with some measuring equipment before you install the heads and maybe find a problem after installation. Do you know the experience the machine shop has with these particular heads? I just don't want to see you with a problem later on after all the work you've done.
If you need more specs let me know.

Last edited:

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will measure the overall thickness of the heads tonight, the new exhaust valves all are around .042-.049.

Will the thicker Felpro head gasket make up some differance?

All new exhaust guides, all new exhaust valves, all new springs, one prechamber, ground the heads just until all touched across.

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got 6 inch mic from work, one head was 5.801 the other was 5.798.

Don't know why the exhaust valves are a little long out of the hole, they are new :dunno maybe thats the reason.

I think I gonna call it good and stick them on, any suggestions?

I will change to oil on the head bolts, thanks.