Head gasket replacement

crash86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it hard to replace head gaskets on a 05 6.0 are there any tricks or special things tp know?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
gotta pull the cab, or the motor, or the heater box.
watch the valve coner bolts as they are threaded into aluminum, also watch the hpop rail bolts, same thing, also need a custom lenght t-40 for the injectors.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I also have heard that the engine or cab needs to come off. the story from the dealer is the cab comes off...and that is how they all do it.

My opinion, yank the 6.0 and drop in an older 7.3L

crash86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I really don't wanna pull the motor and don't have the place to pull the cab but is the heater box on the passengar side?
And a special t40?

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep. Where you at here in Texas. If your close to Beaumont I have one I can loan you.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's basically just a really long t40. Can only be bought from a tool truck and is almost always a special order.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't much matter what engine is in a Superduty. The body needs to come off if it is in the back half of the engine. I found it quite painfull watching my Ford tech repair a broken wire in the back of the engine - a 5 minute job, which required removal of the body.

crash86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wont pulling the engine be as easy because i dont have the space to lift the cab off

and the t40 couldnt you use a socket style with a big extension?

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not enough side clearance for it. If you get it to work let me know the brand that fits as I'll be buying one within 24 hours of the info. I've tried every decent t40 out there and none of them were narrow enough to work. That's why I bought the extra long torx bits.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You run the risk of smashing the tips. The shop where I was working the one guy did that and ended up destroying all the injectors in the head. It's a risk that I personally wouldn't take.

parttime379ex

Reaction score
haven't heard to many good things about the hypermax headgaskets.most people are going back with the oem fords or the black onyx from river city.also i would recommend going back with headstuds instead of the ford headbolts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online

No members online now.