Head gasket replacement

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it hard to replace head gaskets on a 05 6.0 are there any tricks or special things tp know?

its not as bad as you would think.... i was doing about one a week over the summer... make sure to get the heads to a machine shop to have them checked/magnafuxed. I have only heard of one set that didnt need any machine work.

I cant remember what year they swithed to t-45 injector hold downs, i might be in 06 when they switched to 20mm dowels... either way you need a medium depth torx socket so you dont ruin ur injectors

if it was mine i would put in an egr delete and a ford oil cooler service kit, and exhaust manifold gaskets, and if your going to do anything else performance wise now is the time

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(Basically i agree with everything dukedrummer89) Yes it was in 06 when they switched to the new dowels. And while ur at it go ahead and add the cost of head studs to your list of parts. Also do a EGR delete and be free of some major pproblems. I too have done quite a few the first one i did was in the cab and it was a PITA. Ecspecially when it comes to torqueing the heads to 250 ft/lbs. Also the hpop fitting is something else you might want to do while ur in there pulling everthing apart. You can get away with reusing all the old gaskets but i wouldnt recommend it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online