head gasket differences

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
I am under the impression that newer headgaskets come with rtv (or some kind of sealant) on them, the older ones didn't. I was looking at my replacment gaskets today, and they have no sealant. They are felpro, and some of the paperwork in the box dates to 1992. I know there have been updates to the headgaskets over the years also.
SO... what have others who have bought felpro headgaskets observed. I know one of the gaskets I removed from my engine had sealant, one didn't. The one without was a real good leaker :rolleyes:
Thanks
James

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
James,

The Fel-Pro gaskets I put on my truck last summer didn't have any sealant that I could see on them. I checked against Mel's article, and it looked like they were the second-latest design (a new design had come out maybe a month before I bought them; I figured at the time that Fel-Pro hadn't gotten them onto the shelves yet). About 5K miles later, no gasket-related problems...granted I have 90 ft-lbs on ARP studs holding the heads down :D but even still.

IIRC, head gaskets don't generally have RTV on them, and are meant to go on dry...so, if the sealant-free gasket was leaking nice and good, it might be worthwhile to look for an alternate explanation...inperfect mating surface, maybe? I would also check the "good" head; why did someone deem it necessary to put RTV on the gasket?

Just some thoughts...good luck!

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
most head gaskits dont have rtv sealer on them.some have rubber or silicone seals(rubber grommits) to seal the water and oil pasages off.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
The one gasket that had sealant was 'factory' sealant, that is, like the sealant you see on many gaskets that is in distinct lines. I wish I had scoped out that gasket more, maybe figured out where it came from. Methinks I will compare against Mel's article.
I have rebuilt heads I am putting on the truck but I have yet to check the deck. Running leakstop stopped the leak, and it was the typical rear corner leak at first ;Pissed
Thanks
James

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Well, I do still have both old headgaskets. Turns out, according to Mel's article, the driver's side is original or pre-88, and the passenger side (the real leaker) is unlike any in his pictures but identicle to the ones I have to replace them with. It appears that, according to Mel's pics, Ford gaskets come with sealant. At least those designs pictured. The ones I have are slightly different. No 'triangles' around the fire ring (enlarged bolt holes?).
James

Attachments

• heaggask.jpg
    heaggask.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 12

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Heck I figured anyome still running a IDI these days had a turbo. They do make a difference on a non turbo motor.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Yes the new ones have sealant already applied.My 1993(went into a 1994 truck) original gaskets were alot different than that picture.The big triangles were metal inserts and the entire top and bottom of the gasket has a silver sealant stuff that kinda squishes out only during torquing.Let me tell ya this,that stuff is a bear to clean off after it has sat up for over 10 years.But the all the new IDI gaskets from Felpro will have the silver sealant stuff on it since all IDI gaskets now are Turbo spec.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Thanks!! :) That 'silver stuff' is what I am used to seeing on a head gasket, and is what I have now. It was due to the fact that the one had rtv'ish sealant on it, I saw Mel's photos and I know that many gaskets are coming with rtv on them I was starting to wonder what I got...
As for copper, people running turbos on IDIs with the kind of boost that needs a copper gasket are few and far between.
James

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
highest_vision said:
Thanks!! :) That 'silver stuff' is what I am used to seeing on a head gasket, and is what I have now. It was due to the fact that the one had rtv'ish sealant on it, I saw Mel's photos and I know that many gaskets are coming with rtv on them I was starting to wonder what I got...
As for copper, people running turbos on IDIs with the kind of boost that needs a copper gasket are few and far between.
James

The RTV is for places like front and rear of the intake manifold,bolts for waterpump,etc.Places that need sealant but a gasket won't work.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
RKOCH said:
Why aren't you guys using the solid copper ones?

Not sure about the IDI's but some of the earlier high power PSD builders had some SERIOUS leak issues when cold.

I'll look in my "things NOT use" :D files and give a linky.

Well seems I lost ALOT when my old system crashed -cuss
and the usless search feature :puke: at TDS -cuss -cuss

Bean had alot of input on them.....I'm still looking :D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle