HE351VE Remote Mount Turbo

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is it means kinda like what you were saying about using a ram and actuator or w/ever to keep it balanced, as in the stand alone more so just opens and closes vs, working smooth and even across the power band.

Definately interested in some pics of your setup, i would love to use a vgt as either a single or secondary if need be.. that is if im comfortable i can make it work how i want it to.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is what I was wondering. I wonder if the vanes just slam shut on that setup or something. That is bad on the turbo and causes it to bark. I highly doubt that is the case with the stand-alone. I guess I was just more wanting him to describe how it acted or something along those line...

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is on a seperate,but similar note, what about an he351cw. You dont have to worry about a variable turbo, and you get a pretty decent turbo numbers wise.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The he351cw is a decent turbo but I would be worried about the size of the turbo housing on a remote setup. The variable turbo completely negates that worry. A smaller turbine housing is quite typical in a remote setup to allow it to spool properly due to heat loss. I'm not saying it won't work, I would just go with the smallest housing possible without being too restrictive...

wmoguy

Reaction score
That is what I was wondering. I wonder if the vanes just slam shut on that setup or something. That is bad on the turbo and causes it to bark. I highly doubt that is the case with the stand-alone. I guess I was just more wanting him to describe how it acted or something along those line...

Actually I think you got that backwards. When the veins got forced down or restricted quickly it keeps the turbo happy. Turbo bark comes when their is a sudden loss of pressure (i.e. you let of the throttle after getting in it hard) and the turbo can no longer hold the air pressure between the compressor to the engine. The bark you hear is essentially high pressure air moving reverse flow back OUT of the compressor housing.

Thus far turbo bark hasn't been an issue for me. The "contraption" I have is pretty fast to want to pinch down the housing size, id' venture probably faster than an electronic motor might be. I'm sure if I drove it real hard, buried my foot in it and then let off the pedal after building a bunch of boost it would bark, but so would every other turbo. Who drives like that with intelligence though??

I really need to make time (someone have a time machine I can borrow?) and get the drive pressure guage on. I'm pretty confident I can work this turbo harder and still have acceptable drive pressure ratios. I've been pretty easy on the thing while I get to learn it.

Headed out on an adventure for a week or so, when i get back I'll work on pics and video and such. Mountain driving this weekend up to 11k feet on slow windy roads ought to be a good test for how responsive boost is for my desired application.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was kinda thinkin more when the vanes slam shut during a shift and was thinking it would really cause both sides of the turbo to slow down causing a reversion on the cold side. But anyway you are right it probably is not as pronounced as I thought it could be. I just remember other threads where guys have put on a vgt and mentioned it. But it could very well be how they have their wastegate type controller set up. And as for how you could probably get it to bark, that is true. But is inevitable to a certain degree with a munual as opposed to a auto. Do you have an automatic tranny? Just curious cus that might be playing a role in lack of barking as well. Anyway, I look forward to your pics and videos man. You definitely need some idle videos at the exhaust and by the engine bay, some drive by videos, and some accleration videos from inside looking at both your boost and egt gauges and then one showing your speedo. :D

wmoguy

Reaction score
I was kinda thinkin more when the vanes slam shut during a shift and was thinking it would really cause both sides of the turbo to slow down causing a reversion on the cold side. But anyway you are right it probably is not as pronounced as I thought it could be. I just remember other threads where guys have put on a vgt and mentioned it. But it could very well be how they have their wastegate type controller set up. And as for how you could probably get it to bark, that is true. But is inevitable to a certain degree with a munual as opposed to a auto. Do you have an automatic tranny? Just curious cus that might be playing a role in lack of barking as well. Anyway, I look forward to your pics and videos man. You definitely need some idle videos at the exhaust and by the engine bay, some drive by videos, and some accleration videos from inside looking at both your boost and egt gauges and then one showing your speedo. :D

Actually if the housing does shut down quickly thats better. Smaller housing = increased wheel speed = ability to hold pressure more = less barking of the turbo

Yes Mines an Auto with some nasty hard shifts and super fast shifts (not stock). Both can bark a turbo nearly as easily. i.e. the old ATS turbo on this thing from Drive to OD often would go from 8-9psi to 1 psi when it hit OD (depending on the speeds I was driving etc..) thats a turbo bark waiting to happen.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
excuse my ignorance, i am assuming turbo bark is not good. how would you avoid it on a manual tranny? shifting gears would seem to cause this to happen as well as if you put the clutch in suddenly to coast? is that not a good idea to put it into neutral and coast, say down a hill you just crested?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance