Had it with the return caps!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I was seeing in the plastic caps is they are not very round. The best ones were the original gray ones. Also the black replacement caps were a bit bigger.

So being cheap, I might have dodged the bullet? I re-used my old caps and that was 3 years ago with no problems at all. I am finding that out more and more, new is not always better. Sometimes replacing things as preventative measures gives you more problems than you started with.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Is there any way some sealant could be used?

If put some around the bottom oring, then inside the cap at the top oring spot, to avoid getting it in the return passage.

Jw

Personally I like the setup on my 6.2. No caps, just return lines.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O-rings should deform and seal even if the caps are somewhat out of round. Severely, not so much.

I like the washer idea, it should keep the caps mostly in place. The only thing remaining is they may still be able to rotate.

O-rings shouldn't need sealants.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got my return line kit from advance auto parts, had it in stock and went on no problem and no leaks since, maybe i got lucky? i dont go to napa often because its a 20 minute drive for me and they are expensive, and from the sounds of it i wont be purchasing from them

Thorracer265

Reaction score

If put some around the bottom oring, then inside the cap at the top oring spot, to avoid getting it in the return passage.

Jw

I put a dab of leak lock refrigeration sealant that I use for work on the bottom of a couple o rings that would not seal even with new caps and i haven't had a leak since about 6000 miles ago. I agree there shouldn't be any sealant but it got old fast dealing with air intrusion.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a small amount of black silicone on the bottom of two of mine because they were dumping fuel. didnt change them until i did the injectors a couple months later. Not the right answer, but it worked.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Did you replace the hoses? The caps and orings arent always the problem. I had a cap that wouldn't stop leaking once... Figured out it was the hose leaking at the cap making it look like the cap was leaking.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I replaced the hoses. The problem is that the caps don't snap down so they vibrate up and uncover the return holes. Some washers under the injection lines are working for now to hold them down

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why can't we have a better set up, like some other idi use? Like a kabota deisel I had in a bobcat once it had steel caps and copper washers.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mostly because someone like me, who has a good design in mind, doesn't have the tools to make them happen.

It wouldn't be too hard, but there really isn't a market to drive the development.

Lithgow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.... I saw some news stories on 3D printers, anyone got access to one? We could try different design ideas to make the return caps.

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know many of you have seen this thread and know much more about the progress or possibilities than I do since I have only been here for a few months. Here is a link for those than have not seen it yet. We can hope this may get to production although the replacements caps, o rings, line and clamps I bought from Dieselogic in Florida was a nice bunch of parts for the money and working well so far.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?61798-Aluminum-injector-caps

Smokininmo

Reaction score

Jw

I think you run to much risk of getting the sealant in your return lines and eventually to your Injector pump. Then you have real problems.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm.. I've got no idea what you guys are talking about. Luckily nothing leaks on my truck per the fuel system - but I'll be doing injectors so I'm sure I'll need a return line kit and I may start to experience the fun you guys are having.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
I think you run to much risk of getting the sealant in your return lines and eventually to your Injector pump. Then you have real problems.

Sealant isn't a good solution for this, however I just don't see how debris from the return system could ever foul the IP. The FSV certianly, and that can ruin your day, but fuel from the return never enters the pump. Only flows out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online