Had it with the return caps!

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sealant isn't a good solution for this, however I just don't see how debris from the return system could ever foul the IP. The FSV certianly, and that can ruin your day, but fuel from the return never enters the pump. Only flows out of it.

Look at this video at around the 9:30 or 10:00 mark. If this is correct you can get material back into the IP. I don't know that much about it, just sharing what I saw from the video and what is being posted in the thread.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?66532-Interesting-U-Tube-Video

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The technique I use for return line caps is this. Pinky finger coated with clean engine oil, smoothed around the inside of the cap, while at the same time feeling for any imperfections. Place the cap over the injector 90 to 180 degrees out of rotation from where you want it, and then while pushing down, simultaniously rotate the cap until it aligns with your desired position. The cap should audibly snap down into position. A gentle tug up and down confirms that it is seated properly.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Look at this video at around the 9:30 or 10:00 mark. If this is correct you can get material back into the IP. I don't know that much about it, just sharing what I saw from the video and what is being posted in the thread.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?66532-Interesting-U-Tube-Video

Still totally not seeing how that could ever happen. I'm assuming you're talking about the case pressure bit, where he points at the return checkvalve. The checkvalve on the IP is the component that prevents fuel from the return line system from entering the IP. Unless it fails fuel cannot ever enter the pump accept from the inlet port. In the event that your return system plugged downstream and couldn't dump into the tank the valve would close and the pump would shut off fuel flow to the injectors. Hell on the 6.9's return the IP and the injector return are completely separate systems until they get back to the 4way fitting at the firewall. (where the super secret 4th olive is)

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Working on testing out some caps I got, which are absolutely AMAZING! Thanks ADV!
Too bad I have to replace the lines with the caps, turns out they were torqued down a little much (I am surmising) at one point in their lives. So, I am glad I've got a couple of extra engines giving to the cause. The cause being a truck build, I have been taking pictures as I build. It's just been so damn cold out my hands are hurting from all that cold work. I have found that Tygon fuel line tubing fits on the caps perfectly, remains flexible in the cold, and since it's good enough for snowmobiles it will work for me. At least until it fails...

But maybe I should get some washers to shim those caps down. I've found that the ferrules don't exactly seal right. My thought lately was to figure out a way to shim between the inside of the cap to onto the ferrule. With hopes of a better seal. Time will tell what happens.

However I will say that ADV's Caps are amazing quality and insanely smooth inside so they seal well.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Working on testing out some caps I got, which are absolutely AMAZING! Thanks ADV!
Too bad I have to replace the lines with the caps, turns out they were torqued down a little much (I am surmising) at one point in their lives. So, I am glad I've got a couple of extra engines giving to the cause. The cause being a truck build, I have been taking pictures as I build. It's just been so damn cold out my hands are hurting from all that cold work. I have found that Tygon fuel line tubing fits on the caps perfectly, remains flexible in the cold, and since it's good enough for snowmobiles it will work for me. At least until it fails...

But maybe I should get some washers to shim those caps down. I've found that the ferrules don't exactly seal right. My thought lately was to figure out a way to shim between the inside of the cap to onto the ferrule. With hopes of a better seal. Time will tell what happens.

However I will say that ADV's Caps are amazing quality and insanely smooth inside so they seal well.

Glad to hear you got a set, I just hope that one day everyone who wants one will have a set!

I have been considering Tygon for my return lines as well. I use it in my Muscateer for fuel line both submerged and as a transfer line. I like the dayglow look and more imporantly, they are clear so you can see bubbles!!!!!

It is also the reservoir line for the hydraulic controls as well. I've not had any issues so far however I don't know about longevity as it's only been running off and on a few months. I did use the Tygon for the Kubota diesel engine too and it seems to be working ok as both a return line and fuel feed line.

WHERE ARE YOUR PICTURES of this????? hmmm??? Inquiring minds want to SEE