Group 31's are awesome!!!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That's all..........I just put em in Burt today and lovin em.

Welcome to the world of plenty of cranking power, even if you leave your dome lights on all night LOL It's hard to believe how much of a difference they make until you have a set ;Sweet

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder what I have. I just went to wal-mart last year and bought two of their bigger batterys, like 1000 cca or something like that. I'm sure it says on the battery I will look next time I am out there.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep multiple 31s in everything around here that I can make them fit.

I wish that cramped little tray under the hood of my Mitsubishi R2500 two-cylinder diesel tractor was half-an-inch wider; I would put one in it. ;Sweet

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Heck, from a cold start it only wings over about 2 1/2 turns...hot start, not even a full turn...She be more than enough to support my CB habits as well!

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I wonder what I have. I just went to wal-mart last year and bought two of their bigger batterys, like 1000 cca or something like that. I'm sure it says on the battery I will look next time I am out there.

I hate to tell you but what you bought is called trash

Im not insulting you im joking around but all jokes aside wal-mart batteries are just cheap and they dont last long i have never been able to keep one much over a year,

The G-31's are awesome

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought 1 battery from Wal-mart...............cause that's where the battery in my wife's rig finally decided to die. It lasted 2 months, then would randomly loose it's charge overnight. Took it back, they gave me a new one for no charge. That one has been working great for about 3 years now.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WalMart NeverStarts? Seriously G31 is a designation not a brand, and it has to do with the size of the thing I think. I have 2 from Interstate under my hood, sealed lead acid batteries. Caterpillar is also a good source of these. Just be sure your cable ends are compatible or be prepared to convert them to something that is.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
FWIW, Walmart started testing their batteries. I thought about running one all the way dead and charging it up backwards (ie neg would be pos and visa versa).

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> MORE GOOD STUFF TO KNOW <<<

The GROUP-31 battery has the posts on the center-line of the batteries top, being the same distance from post to either edge.

There is also a GROUP-30 battery that is identical in every way to a GROUP-31, EXCEPT that the posts are closer to one edge, instead of on center.

The 30s used to be much more common than the 31s, but I guess the convenience of having the posts centered has led to the popularity of the 31 surpassing that of the 30.

I can't remember the orientation of the HOT and NEG posts on a GROUP-30, just that they are closer to one edge.

Both the -30 and the -31 are available in the common old lead-post configuration, or also the more desirable threaded stud terminal.

The addition of the letter S, such as GROUP-31S denotes that that battery is a threaded stud/terminal battery.

Without the "S", it is just a plain old lead post battery.

So, if one cannot find a proper GROUP-31S battery, but a GROUP-30S is available, be assured that the performance will be the same, so long as the offset post configuration will not interfere with your mounting setup. ;Sweet

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
iv been reading a lot of these battery threads. Im due for a new set of batteries right now..i currently have 2 motorcraft 850cca. one which load tests as 12.34v with the toaster and one the load tests 6.12v with the toaster. They actually are still under warranty but i am not the original owner so im not even going to try to walk into a ford dealership trying to get 2 new batteries. With my swap i moved the passenger side battery tray to the drivers side so that they are right next to each other. I also just got done making bran new battery cables with the good solder on ends. I would love to get a set of group 31s but i dont know how they will fit in my configuration. I have access to interstate MG-65s or something rather for 88 each.. Im not sure what im going to do yet..what are the size differences between the two?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
iv been reading a lot of these battery threads. Im due for a new set of batteries right now..i currently have 2 motorcraft 850cca. one which load tests as 12.34v with the toaster and one the load tests 6.12v with the toaster. They actually are still under warranty but i am not the original owner so im not even going to try to walk into a ford dealership trying to get 2 new batteries. With my swap i moved the passenger side battery tray to the drivers side so that they are right next to each other. I also just got done making bran new battery cables with the good solder on ends. I would love to get a set of group 31s but i dont know how they will fit in my configuration. I have access to interstate MG-65s or something rather for 88 each.. Im not sure what im going to do yet..what are the size differences between the two?

You don't have to be the original purchaser on batts to have them covered under warranty . if teh month year tabs were plucked out at time of sale they will be warranted from that date and if not they will go by the manufacture date stamp which may be a number of months or a year older than when you bought it so you'll loose out on warranty so you always want to make sure the tabs are pulled, but if it's over 2 years old the prorate on the thing will be to where you might as well just get better batts, because they will prorate them down so far after that to where you end up paying for most of the new one anyway and 850 amps is min for these things, a nice set of 31s batts would get you usually 1000 min, Mine have 1150 ea that I got at Truck Pro for under a hundred bucks ea.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly Motorcraft Batteries don't have date tabs anymore, you need the original purchase receipt to get them warrantied.