Group 31's are awesome!!!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Sadly Motorcraft Batteries don't have date tabs anymore, you need the original purchase receipt to get them warrantied.

Isn't there at least a criptic looking sticker on the side somewhere or a brand burned into the plastic with a code? looky here

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to tell you but what you bought is called trash

Im not insulting you im joking around but all jokes aside wal-mart batteries are just cheap and they dont last long i have never been able to keep one much over a year,

The G-31's are awesome

Its a everstart maxx-65n I don't know if I would call it junk its started my truck w/ bad plugs below zero not plugged in. Definitely not a great battery as I just read some reviews where people have had them die after 6 months. I have had these for almost 2 years now. I really don't know what to compare them to I could be missing out on the group 31s and if they die I will look into that. I guess its not 1000 cca its 850 cca and 1000 ca. It appears they have a 3 year free replacement. I think after that they degrade the price somewhat and you have to pay the difference. I had a battery from Oreillys once that they did that after several years it still had a few dollars worth of warranty towards the next one. My dad had a wal-mart battery in his wood truck that is severely abused and wasn't even the right battery. We couldn't get it to start one day so narrowed it down to the battery. We took it in and tested it showed good and we was about to leave. Then I said try the side terminals thats where we have it hooked to so they did. It was bad on the side. They looked up by application the correct battery for his truck and gave it to him for free and it was a more expensive battery than what he brought in. They goofed I am sure but its been in his truck for several years since then. How much do the group 31s cost and wheres a good place to get them? TSC?

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
You don't have to be the original purchaser on batts to have them covered under warranty . if teh month year tabs were plucked out at time of sale they will be warranted from that date and if not they will go by the manufacture date stamp which may be a number of months or a year older than when you bought it so you'll loose out on warranty so you always want to make sure the tabs are pulled, but if it's over 2 years old the prorate on the thing will be to where you might as well just get better batts, because they will prorate them down so far after that to where you end up paying for most of the new one anyway and 850 amps is min for these things, a nice set of 31s batts would get you usually 1000 min, Mine have 1150 ea that I got at Truck Pro for under a hundred bucks ea.

Well i went out to the truck and took a look at the batteries. both have green circle stickers on the side of them saying 11/08 they also have what looks like the name thing melted into both batteries. can anyone tell me what this means. i think it says 8k09cn4c. its very hard to read the melted plastic so i hope i got that right. the last C might be a number its hard to read. Can i just call a ford dealer and ask them if they will replace them or is there another place that carries motorcraft.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
The green stickers are the date code.....November of 2008 should still be under warranty. Pretty sure the "brand" on the side of it is just a serial number.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Its a everstart maxx-65n I don't know if I would call it junk its started my truck w/ bad plugs below zero not plugged in. Definitely not a great battery as I just read some reviews where people have had them die after 6 months. I have had these for almost 2 years now. I really don't know what to compare them to I could be missing out on the group 31s and if they die I will look into that. I guess its not 1000 cca its 850 cca and 1000 ca. It appears they have a 3 year free replacement. I think after that they degrade the price somewhat and you have to pay the difference. I had a battery from Oreillys once that they did that after several years it still had a few dollars worth of warranty towards the next one. My dad had a wal-mart battery in his wood truck that is severely abused and wasn't even the right battery. We couldn't get it to start one day so narrowed it down to the battery. We took it in and tested it showed good and we was about to leave. Then I said try the side terminals thats where we have it hooked to so they did. It was bad on the side. They looked up by application the correct battery for his truck and gave it to him for free and it was a more expensive battery than what he brought in. They goofed I am sure but its been in his truck for several years since then. How much do the group 31s cost and wheres a good place to get them? TSC?

The real bad thing about wallyworld batts is when they do go bad, most wally worlds use a tester that shows all bad batts of theirs that they test to come out OK unless the things are completely dead shorted across the plates, so trying to collect on their warranty is a moot point.

Yes, TSC does carry group 31 stud tops, and the ones they have are heavy duty vibration resistant jobs like Cat carries since they are for tractors.

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a pic of these group 31's? Years ago we had a 36' rough terrain forklift and always had trouble starting it. We went to a farm store and bought their biggest one and made it fit. It was like 200.00 and it took 2 of us to carry it. It could crank so long we should of just ran the forklift on the battery! I understand on not liking the wal-mart batterys I guess I just have to cross my fingers and hope they keep working like they have been. If they make it to the end of the 3 years before they quit I will feel like I have got my money out of them and go with something better. My dad just bought some identical for his tractor and appear to be about what was in there before. They say 02 on the side of the batterys and were still working but didn't seem to hold as good of a charge as they used to.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
With my swap i moved the passenger side battery tray to the drivers side so that they are right next to each other. I also just got done making bran new battery cables with the good solder on ends. I would love to get a set of group 31s but i dont know how they will fit in my configuration. I have access to interstate MG-65s or something rather for 88 each..

This is something I would LOVE to do. Move the driver side battery to the passenger side and throw two 31's at it. It would take some work, but to be able send the starter flying across a parking lot after it broke free from the truck from the starter torque at -40*F is something I would LOVE to do.

No more boosting.....EVER!!

FWIW I hear that 31's are cheaper than 65's, and have WAY more capacity!!

Anyone successfully put 31's in a 92 and up truck?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
This is something I would LOVE to do. Move the driver side battery to the passenger side and throw two 31's at it. It would take some work, but to be able send the starter flying across a parking lot after it broke free from the truck from the starter torque at -40*F is something I would LOVE to do.

No more boosting.....EVER!!

FWIW I hear that 31's are cheaper than 65's, and have WAY more capacity!!

Anyone successfully put 31's in a 92 and up truck?

I've got a pair of 31s in my 92 THey fit in without too much fuss. I did cut off the ends of the battery trays and I have some chunks of mudflap over the pos terminal just in case they get to bouncing too much, but the terminals sit under the recess in the hood so there's plenty of clearance

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
What all would I have to move to get two 31's on the passenger side? I would have LOTS of room, just gotta move things around.

If you haven't already done anythine else there, not much. Just take out the factory jack and rig a mount. I've seen a few cases of guys rigging a third batt there just to run the glow plugs off and keep that separate from the starting batts

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I did something like this I want to mount them in a box under the truck as close to the starter as possible and have a lot less cable. A person could even rig up a jump starting lug under the hood if they felt necessary. I wouldn't mind making a box in the back seat to do something like that also and mount a seat over top of it all. I had a buick riviera that had a battery under the rear seat from the factory it seems when the battery is inside the vehicle and not as exposed to the elements they last along time. I have heard when inside a vehicle you need a vent for the battery as there are gasses that come off the battery when charging.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I've had the optima group 31's in the van for years now. Surprisingly enough they're the only aftermarket battery that I've found that fits in the van. They're skinnier than normal batteries and longer. They fit in the van's skinny battery tray. Mine were great for years, but nowadays I have a bad parasitic drain. They are basically dead all the time now and I always have to jump it if it sits for more than 2 days. I want to replace them and install some sort of large switch to disconnect them when van sits.

http://shop.optimabatteries.com/pro...umber=D31A/1737.0.1.1.54219.54056.0.0.0?pp=8&

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
If you haven't already done anythine else there, not much. Just take out the factory jack and rig a mount. I've seen a few cases of guys rigging a third batt there just to run the glow plugs off and keep that separate from the starting batts

How could one go about doing that? I've got two more group 31's sitting here, although one is powering my CB linear in the house lol.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How could one go about doing that? I've got two more group 31's sitting here, although one is powering my CB linear in the house lol.

You do it the same as if you were isolating a battery(s) for any other purpose, either with an isolater or a solenoid/relay that splits the connection when the key is OFF.

I have three 31s in my F-350, right now all connected parallel; but, plans are to isolate two that will be connected to the starter and NOTHING ELSE, while the third battery powers ALL other functions; thus, I can leave the lights or whatever ON, without draining the two starter batteries. ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online