Grounded bat. on condes. hoses-need alt- anything else need replaced?

mcbg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put in new batteries and went with the higher cca ones that are shorter and they were not secure on the pass. side. The battery slipped into the condenser and radiator area. The gases from the ac were being released and there was a lot of smoke. I replaced the ground wire(it was toast), the bat. terminal(melted) and put in a bat. clamp. and replaced a couple fuses.

I have a meter in the cigar lighter and its reading 12.2 and at on time 12.4.

The 100 amp alt. will be here in the morn.

Is there any thing else that may have been damaged?
Thanks

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing and caught a couple wires on fire when I was camping two weeks ago - I haven't had any ill effects other since replacing a couple fuses and the ground wire that burnt. just do a good once over on your wiring to make sure there aren't any other wires that may have melted, or gotten hot enough to melt the loom. And buy some battery tie downs...

mcbg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing and caught a couple wires on fire when I was camping two weeks ago - I haven't had any ill effects other since replacing a couple fuses and the ground wire that burnt. just do a good once over on your wiring to make sure there aren't any other wires that may have melted, or gotten hot enough to melt the loom. And buy some battery tie downs...

Is the loom in the alt?
the alt. was pretty hot so I am thinking it fried.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No - the loom is the stuff that covers all the wires in the engine bay - I believe its called wire loom, even though that looks really weird typing it. Just the black plastic stuff that all the wires run through. Depending on how long it was grounded out for, you may have burnt out some wires that aren't immediatly apparent but will cause gremlins in the future.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any thing else that may have been damaged?
Thanks

Voltage regulator.

If it fried the alternator, it would seem that it's fuse-link didn't do it's job.

I would go ahead and eliminate all the fuse-links, routing those wires to self-resetting circuit-breakers instead.

They may not show it right off, but I almost would bet that they got pushed to the limit and will give problems on cold dark rainy nights when you have your Sunday-go-to-meeting clothes on.:eek: