Got to play with a 93 factory turbo truck today

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

And it's a pretty nice truck too. After a couple conversations with the owner, he brought it over to have me take a look at it. His complaint was white smoke and rough idle on cold start up. I immediately figured it was timing. When I first heard the truck, it sounded like a gasser with a few lifters ticking. The pump is original, as are the injectors, at 234k miles. The pump was also as far to the drivers side as it could go. Loosened it up, and turned it as far to the right as it would go. Started it up, he said it was alot better, took it for a ride, he said it was more powerful. But, it still isn't up to time, and is way too quiet. Mel, I'm very confident you will have a future Moose customer when he logs on here.

All in all, I was surprised with how it performed. It's lacking in power yet, but would get up and go.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
With that many miles on the fuel system its high time for somw new parts... I also would get rid of the factory flattened down pipe and then straight pipe the truck. Thats about as cheap as horse power you could add to that truck...:sly

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a nice truck but I still prefer your 85. Feels nice to spread some of your knowledge though doesn't it?:sly

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, it was nice just BSing for a few hours bout things he had concerns with. It was also nice seeing how the factory turbo trucks were packaged, and how much power it had. I can tell it's still down on power by how it would take off, but it will for sure walk away from my 85 anyday.

I told him that when he decides to pull the engine in favor of a Cummins swap, I'm taking it and he can sell my 6.9 for me lol. I'd love to see what that motor, a Moose fuel system and intercooler, would be like in my truck.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i would put the turbo on ur 6.9. no worries about cavitation and other issues the 7.3's had.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm shocked your 6.9 isn't right there with him with all you've done to it. I've always heard and dyno tests around here seem to prove it, that the 6.9 and 7.3 are very close in terms of power as long as you're comparing N/A to N/A or turbo to turbo. The factory turbo motors are pretty nice, and they are fairly scarce to begin with. The heavier duty rods and bigger piston pins and the upgraded oil cooler is all that I know about that I would want from one over a 6.9. That wastegated factory turbo probably made it seem a little peppier around town than your non gated Banks.