Got K&N air filter and a turbo...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Then better think twice about keeping the thing in there.
Just got the bad news from the turbo shop where I sent my wheels in for balancing , the compressor wheel is shot from dust eating it up.

And yes, the filter was properly oiled, and the guy who had the turbo before me I know took proper care of the thing ;Sweet
I wouldn't have bought one, but it came with the turbo.

It's like I've always said, K&N's have their place and it's on the race track on engines that only need to go fast and it doesn't matter if they need to be torn down at the end of the day.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well I know that Cummins Engine Corp will void the warranty on thier engines if the customer uses a K&N type filter because they say it doesn't filter the air good enough.

That said I had one on The Enterprise and didn't see signs of dirt or dust getting past the air filter. I have run them on other vehicles with no signs of leakage.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I first saw the difference on the things years ago on a big motorcycle I had. I stuck a K&N filter on the thing , Had to re jet the carbs, it ran GREAT, but the oil was getting visibly ( and later test samples proved it )dirty about 600 miles faster, this is on an engine with an oil screen and no oil filter so the air filter made a big difference

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Lets not over look leaks around joints in the air intake....I've seen a tiny leak under a clamp cut a groove right through a compressor housing due to dirty air...I've been running K/N filters for years and I haven't seen anything that disturbed me about their filtering performance. I don't care for an open element in a dirty enviroment like an engine bay, hellish dusty when you drive down dirt roads.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Lets not over look leaks around joints in the air intake....I've seen a tiny leak under a clamp cut a groove right through a compressor housing due to dirty air...I've been running K/N filters for years and I haven't seen anything that disturbed me about their filtering performance. I don't care for an open element in a dirty enviroment like an engine bay, hellish dusty when you drive down dirt roads.

No open element cone type setup here, IT's got the ATS 088 filter housing with all the seals in tact, with a flat k&n filter element.

I would never run an unhoused filter on a diesel I know it looks cool, but it's just too easy to suck up water that way.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then better think twice about keeping the thing in there.
Just got the bad news from the turbo shop where I sent my wheels in for balancing , the compressor wheel is shot from dust eating it up.

And yes, the filter was properly oiled, and the guy who had the turbo before me I know took proper care of the thing ;Sweet
I wouldn't have bought one, but it came with the turbo.

It's like I've always said, K&N's have their place and it's on the race track on engines that only need to go fast and it doesn't matter if they need to be torn down at the end of the day.
+1 on what you found.
Mime showed indications of being sandblasted too. All the connections were tight too. imho, our trucks pull more air through and dirt of what a K&N can keep clean.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I've read lots of reports of K&N filters providing inadequate filtering. Some run an oiled foam pre-filter in order to catch some of the dust. Others say not to clean them. As the dirt will eventually clog the larger pores and allow for better filtering.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
The 088 square box air box sucks, flat out. You can never tell if those o-rings are actually sealing. This is why Im chucking mine for a tube running to the front of the engine bay and a cone filter on the end. I do agree that the foam filter design sucks, so Im going to find a paper element cone filter for mine.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Those O rings will seal fine if you put a film of grease on them it's a pretty tight squeeze, if not, you need a new oring.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well I got the bill for the new compressor wheel. not bad. Under $80.
Should have it back here Monday barring any screw ups by the post office.
Now to see if I can get the rain to stop long enough to let my bones stop creeking so I can get the rest of the engine back together -cuss

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting ....I have a K&N and stock turbo air box I plan on using though I will be putting a snorkel out the fender up the "A" pillar and adding another filter on the top of that too....It's dusty here in Osoyoos in the Okanagan (Canada's only desert) so I feel the added top filter will be sufficient.

SKimballC

Reaction score
I don't know if I'd be so quick to point the finger at the K&N. I only ran the K&N for a couple thousand miles before I pulled it off, and then sold the turbo to Robert shortly thereafter. That stupid ATS air box in the Utah desert where that truck used to live seems like a more likely culprit to me.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
u might want to try a fleetgaurd filter for that paper element but there like $100 and thats with our pricing but u can get them at any big truck dealership that carries fleet gaurd filters the one u probably want is a AH19003 its a cummins application height 12.38 housing dia. 8.50 end connection is 3'' or there's one with 4'' connection with the same diamentions

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I don't know if I'd be so quick to point the finger at the K&N. I only ran the K&N for a couple thousand miles before I pulled it off, and then sold the turbo to Robert shortly thereafter. That stupid ATS air box in the Utah desert where that truck used to live seems like a more likely culprit to me.

I doubt it. The turbo guy didn't even have to ask . He knew by looking at the wheel that the thing had a K & N on it. He had it figured out before I said anything.
He told me, what I've heard many times over from many sources ( and what he has the unfortunate task of telling people all the time ), the things eat turbos, and they don't really help air flow on a turbo since once a turbo starts to spool up, they'll suck all they need through a regular paper filter.
I've heard the very same thing from an engineer friend who used to design large turbos and turbine systems.

K& N filters also have the other nasty little side effect of reducing what little low rpm vacuum there was to begin with in the intake to pretty much nothing which reduces crankcase scavanging through the CDR , which causes blowby gasses to buildup which can lead to oil belching through the CDR and excessive oil consumption as the gasses have to force their way out instead of being drawn out , which also leads to seal and gasket leaks.

I've run into that big time on some other non turbo diesels that I played with open filters on . Got more power with a K&n but started inhaling oil and had to rig an oil trap off an Isuzu NPR (similar to a racor 4500 but smaller with no filter element )on the thing to catch all the oil belching out the breather due the the loss of vacuum in the intake from the air filter.