Got a block heater? Use it - it makes a difference!

nappy nate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cost around here is .06 per KWH, 2-3 hours heating time is cheap. 3 Hrs. 4500 watts is only .27 cents. Cheap for the hassel of trying to start a cold engine.
.06 X 4.5 = .27 cents per hour so about 81 cents for 3 hours at that rate. Wind chill really not going to effect it other than getting down to your -5 temperature faster. Just saying

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is only 1400 watts and makes such a big difference that even around 0C (32F) it will fire without glow plugs at all. One full turn over then BANG all 8 holes wake up instantly.

Only time I ever use it is if I know I am about to take a long drive that day. One reason is the heater is warm very quickly. The other reason is the entire powertrain is warm quickly too. Its a big enough difference that I can observe a spike in MPGs due to reduced warm up time. Normally I don't drive the truck around a regular schedule since I work from home and don't have to commute.

Personally I'd rather get into a warm truck with an engine that will run nice and hot within the first mile than count every last kilowatt. Never did crunch the numbers but since I know for a fact that my truck can get as low as 13MPG when its cold, I suspect at the very least it evens out in terms of cost.

Heck, when I was driving my electric car almost every other day we couldn't really see a spike on the hydro bill.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep everything but my work truck plugged in if I know I am going to use it, and when it's below about -20, it stays plugged in any time it isn't running. 3 hours will get the engine warm, bit, not the transmission or any of the accessories on the engine, where plugging in a warm engine will keep them warm enough that they don't complain.
The Duramax, well, a start at -30 is as uneventful as one at 50 degrees, just the glow plugs actually come on and stay on long enough to count, still only around 3-4 seconds though.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, with heater, no ether... Life is good.. One of these days (soon since its the only thing on the road now I hope) I will get around to wiring the glow plugs, then get to find ut why no furnace... its a 3 candle power warmer on a good day... grrr....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger