Gooseneck Hitch

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need a B&W turnover ball for hitch for my truck. Anyone have one lying around on a parts truck or something that they want to part with?

Ryan

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We always make ours. Get either the ball that has a pin, or the ball with the huge threads, Some 1/2" plate, and some 6 inch channel

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
think he wants it to be able to turn over so the ball aint always sticking up and would require some actual fabrication. wouldnt be really hard, just time consuming

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I bought a used B&W turn over gooseneck off of a guy parting out his truck, for super cheap. Pretty slick, and I like that there can be no ball sticking up into the bed.

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I have had 4 of them. The only thing i would go is surface grind a little of each side. They seaze bad.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you want a B&W? How about a Drop-n-lock

I'm not opposed to a Drop-n-lock at all. I've always used the B&W, and want a hitch that will let the ball be removed easily.

Also, since I moved to Las Vegas, all my fab equipment is still in storage in Albuquerque, so I'll be installing with basic hand tools- no plasma/welder to fabricate special brackets or anything. I've installed the B&W hitches in the past, and know they go in pretty easily with just a hole saw and a socket set.

Ryan

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
I bought a B & W cheap from a guy that was on a '99 F250 SD and it went on my '97 F HD like a dream. We drilled one hole on each side towards the back of the side pieces and that was it. Worked great and went on very easily. Took all of an hour and a half. The whole was already in the bed from the hitch that we took off earlier and put on the '93 F350. When the torque converter popped in the PSD E4OD last spring. Now both trucks have hitches. Works out great. My '97 doesn't have overloads.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to a Drop-n-lock at all. I've always used the B&W, and want a hitch that will let the ball be removed easily.

Also, since I moved to Las Vegas, all my fab equipment is still in storage in Albuquerque, so I'll be installing with basic hand tools- no plasma/welder to fabricate special brackets or anything. I've installed the B&W hitches in the past, and know they go in pretty easily with just a hole saw and a socket set.

Ryan

I have had 2 drop-n-locks. When i went to buy my second the dealer was now a B&W dealer and had a B&W in stock. I told them i wanted a D-N-L and they told me they would have to special order it and it would be $50 extra. Well spent the 50 extra and i would do it again.

With a D-N-L there are 2 movable pieces. The ball and the lock. Nothing to really get worn or rusted solid(probabily not in issue where you live). I also think a D-N-L is easier to install.

The B&W is a quality hitch but i found flaws. the biggest one to me is the locking mechanism. The pin is held in w a .50 spring. If the spring brakes or rots away(common up here) there is nothing holding the locking pin in place and it will wiggle right out , then all you have is tongue weight holding the ball in. The next thing is the locking pin, if you dont use the hitch frequently the lock pin tends to rust fast. Also you have to reach in the wheel well to pull the pin. Not to much of a big deal on SRW but is on a DRW. Also, i dont care for how the side pieces attach to the main beam. The just get bolted thru slotted holes.

These are just my findings. I have installed 4 D-N-L and 4 B&W. HAd no issues w the D-N-L but had the issues mentioned w the B&W(all but the pin coming out but the spring was broken and caught in time)

just a lil food for thought.

O i have also installed a UNI-GOOSE. Stay away from those!!!!

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the B and w But I have two problems.

1) the price is probably ten times more than a homemade hitch.

2) Like DieselBrad said the way it folds down. If it is kept in the up position for too long it will rust and not go down easy, Even in South Texas where there is no snow. Crash86 has a newer dodge dually with this hitch. The ball wouldnt come out so we tried to pick it up with the bobcat and the whole back of the truck came off the ground. On mine, you just spin it about 15 times and its free.