Glow Plugs?

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
01 PSD......

Gives me a HECK of a time starting in chilly weather..... anything below 25* or so..... Theres no block heater on this truck either, I don't know what fool wouldn't add this 35$ option to their vehicle!!!!

How frequently do the GP's actually go bad in this truck? I know they are a bear to change out as they are under the valve covers...... Or.... would this be a symptom of something else? THANKS!

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The GPR goes south more frequently than the GP's themselves. Jump the relay for about 30 seconds and try to start it next time its cold.

mojoman

Reaction score
I just installed a block heater in my '95 F250...simple install and the truck fires on the first crank...temps here are around -7 to -20 C....the block heater is located rearward of the oil filter....hope this helps

mojo

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
My 97 had 2 dead GP's, made a difference on start up. They are easy to check, just pull the valve cover harness plugs and ohm the two most forward and 2 most rear pins in the VC gasket to see if there is 1 ohm or less....Is the WTS light cycling for 8-10 seconds???...The GPR on a PSD is is controlled by the ECM.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is the best place to buy one?
The Stancor is the best aftermarket replacement but they go for between 55 and 65 dollars depending on where you get it. You can get a stock replacement from NAPA for about 19.00.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
would an idi relay be the same?i think my psd is haveing gp trouble and have some good spare idi relays kickin around.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
01 PSD......

Gives me a HECK of a time starting in chilly weather..... anything below 25* or so..... Theres no block heater on this truck either, I don't know what fool wouldn't add this 35$ option to their vehicle!!!!

How frequently do the GP's actually go bad in this truck? I know they are a bear to change out as they are under the valve covers...... Or.... would this be a symptom of something else? THANKS!

are you positive the block heater isnt there?sometimes the heater is there but not the cord wich can be ordered.i think even napa can get the cord or almost any truck parts place will have cords on the shelf.

heater circled in red.if thats there all you need is a cord

Attachments

• oilcooler.jpg
    oilcooler.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 31

DavidinKy

David
Reaction score
On 01 models look inside front bumper on the driver side where the tow hook is located, the plug and wire is hard to find its tied up real tight. It was pretty much on all, I looked several times before finding mine.

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
Napa realys are rebuilt ford relays they are either good or bad i went through 2 then went to Ih and bought a good one lasted for about 2 years now

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
would an idi relay be the same?i think my psd is haveing gp trouble and have some good spare idi relays kickin around.

Yes they are. I'm running a PSD relay on the Night Moose.

Can someone educate me, as to what makes the PSD glow plugs more reliable than the IDI ones? I mean, yea the glow plug controller is different, but somebody just said the burn time is 30 seconds. What's up with that?? Are they continuous duty?

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but somebody just said the burn time is 30 seconds. What's up with that?? Are they continuous duty?

Actually the burn time is as much as 2 minutes. Ford has recommended leaving the key on for up to 2 minutes before cranking in cold weather. Watch your volt gauge it takes a while before it comes up after starting thats because the glowplugs are still on.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
Hmmmm I will need to look again for the cord, but I have been through it pretty thoroughly....... maybe it needs a cord but the heater is there.... Where is the relay located? Does anyone have a picture? I'm not the brightest light over here.....

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the napa gpr109 110 and 111 are identical internals except the mounting etc. Did some research today and found this out.