Glow Plugs?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Yes they are. I'm running a PSD relay on the Night Moose.

Can someone educate me, as to what makes the PSD glow plugs more reliable than the IDI ones? I mean, yea the glow plug controller is different, but somebody just said the burn time is 30 seconds. What's up with that?? Are they continuous duty?

A computer can be a wonderful thing. Improved electronics are what makes them more reliable. :D As 85hauler said. They can burn up to two minutes depending on the temp.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A computer can be a wonderful thing. Improved electronics are what makes them more reliable. :D As 85hauler said. They can burn up to two minutes depending on the temp.

and certain ecm codes like i believe the TDE1 they wont come on unless needed

jdchristian3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the IDI GPs arent less reliable. its that they have a simple computer that reads from a "knock sensor" that most people dont know exists. and some have a temp sensor also. mine will cycle the GPs on its own for up to a minute after startup depending on how rough it runs and the core temperature. never knew it til i work for U-Hual while in diesel school. even the old 87's with the 7.3 non turbo had the knock sensor. it would go bad and they would run rough and smoke bad for sometimes 30 minutes on below 0 mornings...

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why would they stick a knock sensor in an idi?they rattle like hell when idleing.wouldnt a knock sensor go nuts on a diesel since a diesel knocks like hell?i know where the temp sensor is as well cuz my idi wouldnt cycle the plugs till i plugged in a sensor that was unplugged.there are no other sensors in my idi except oil pressure,temp,and tach.