Glow plugs and battery drain

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had a horrible battery drain prob lately. I can go to start the truck in the morn with two freshly charged batteries and the wait to start light will come on for like 7 seconds, then it goes out and it does the afterglow clickity click thing that it has always done, but when I actually try to start the truck the batteries are so dead it will not turn over the engine. I can recharge the batteries, disable the glow plugs, give it a shot of ether and it will start right up. The controller is less than 6 months old, the batteries are ~9 months old and I have checked for other things draining the batteries, nothing. It will start fine warm without ether and cold with, as long as I disable the gp's. What would cause them to drain the batteries that quick?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well... My firs thoughts are a bad battery connection and the battery charge is actually ok. but because the cable connections are bad it seems like the batteries are down. So please try cleaning all 4 posts and see if that repairs the problem. Sometimes a bad connection will hot up once its worked a bit. Sometimes twisting the cable clamps on the studs will make better contact for a start or two. Many years ago driving a nail between the post and the cable clamp fixed the corrosion issues batterys had. That was a cheap way of fixing something fast but its not the right thing to do. Its the McGyver way of a fast fix.

fordsrawesome

Reaction score
Don't know what year your truck is but I had a battery drain too and it ended up being a connection on the alternator. So check that. And your grounds. I know its a pain but u might find a loose connection or the wire being completely off like mine after I got stuck at the dump and a Dakota had to jump me embarrassing let me tell you took that little guy 10 15 min to charge me enough to just crank lol

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disconnect the battery wire on the alternator overnight, reconnect in the morning, if it starts then the alternator is bad.