glow plugs again

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well been running the 12v direct to the glow plugs for a while (controler bypass) and i keep burning up the good motocrafts. its sorta costly and im sick of it anyone got a way to run 6v like the stock controler will use?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Most people would say hook it back up to work like it did factory.... LOL

But I'd say some type of voltage regulator/big resistors.
Of course I didn't drive my 88 too long, but it was hooked up in the same fashion and I didn't seem to have that problem.

Hate to ask, but what's your timing at?

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn totally passed my mind honestly i do not know ive replaced the pump since my last timing.

next on to do list time truck. thanks i knew i needed another mind thinking on this

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the above. IMO, the factory glow plug setup works just fine when all the components are functioning properly. No need to put a manual button on it.
Like stated above, if timing is too advanced, it will blow the glow tips off. I had it happen to me lol.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well they short out it seems tips are fine and almost perfect

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My engine is a 6.9 and it has the 12v GP system in it. I think they started the upgrade in mid 87....or something along those lines.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. If I can remember correctly, the spade style glow plugs are 6v and the bullet point glow plugs are 12v. Mine also has the bullet style glow plugs.
To 88beast, how long do you heat them up for? The stock GPC cycles the glow plugs which helps prevent them from burning out. You may be leaving them on for too long

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. If I can remember correctly, the spade style glow plugs are 6v and the bullet point glow plugs are 12v. Mine also has the bullet style glow plugs.
To 88beast, how long do you heat them up for? The stock GPC cycles the glow plugs which helps prevent them from burning out. You may be leaving them on for too long

I was told the opposite by DieselRx, the spade style plugs (older style) were 12 volt and the bullet style (newer style) were 6 volts.

I'll have to do more research.

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you using the stock wiring harness, or is it rebuilt? I always seem to read about people that decide to rebuild a wiring harness themselves and boast how they upsize the wire because the stock wire is so tiny... Yes, the stock wires are sized that way for a reason. The small wire provides a voltage drop as the current demand goes up to the glow plugs. Make a harness out of #12 or #10 wire and you better believe those plugs will get (too) hot in a hurry!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Mine worked fine with a bigger custom harness. Actually worked better once I got rid of that puny factory wire.
Of course mine was pushbutton.

Spade are the earlier style.
Bullet are for sure 12v.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has the controler box mounted behind the air intake on the intake manifold. Works fine. I agree...put it back to stock.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is push button now im thinking to go back to stock i keep burning them up and my timing was way under so i know it was not advanced timing burning them up. i was using the older spade connectors for my home made harness with 10ga wire. ive tried a few different styles with individual wires on each plug and a single wire with 4 connectors per side. neither lasted long. if i could find a good price on a intake air heater then id plumb one in.