Glow Plug Replacement Help?!

TheBAT

Reaction score
Is it best to use a rocking back and forth motion or a twisting motion if one is stuck? Also, do you think they are the glow plugs?

Kev

Black dawg

Reaction score
if the plug will move in and out, do that and try to spray carb cleaner or pen. oil to help get it loose. dont force them to turn if they dont want to, the plug will come apart. before you tear into it you should do a simple glow plug test. hook your test light lead to the pos battery term. unplug all four connectors from the vc gaskets and touch the test light to the end terminals in each vc connector. if it lights up, the plug and wiring to it arent fried. make sure to look at the vc gasket and the wiring harness for continuity problems

Black dawg

Reaction score
the vc gasket plugs are the 4 wire plugs that go into the gaskets on the valley side of the valve covers. the wiring harness are under the covers

TheBAT

Reaction score
So I need to take off the valve covers to be able to test the glow plugs? I just want to make sure...

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can ohm out the GPs through the VC harness if you choose (just ohm the pin going to the GP) or you can pull the cover and ohm the GP itself. Your choice.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also be prepared to replace the under valve cover harnesses,valve cover gaskets and possibly the connector on the main harness.bad glowplugs sometimes burns/melts the pins in the gasket and connectors.

Valve Cover Harness Repair Kits (contains 4 hard shells w/seals, w/o terminals)
(Ford) F7TZ-14489-BA (94-96)
(Ford) F7TZ-14489-AA (97)
(International) 1830829C91 removal tool and Shells w/o pins
(International) 1661875C1 Pins
(International) 2501055C1 Pins with 6" wire
Valve Cover Gasket (94-97)
(Ford) F4TZ-6584-A
(International) 1818350C2
Valve Cover Harness, under valve cover
(Ford) F4TZ-9D930-K (94-97)
(International) 1815923C92 (94-97)

and save this page for your conveience,its a page full of ford and international part numbers for PSD parts click here for joats parts page

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also put your location in your profile.there may be one of us members that are close to you that could lend a hand if needed.

Believer45

Reaction score
Click THIS LINK to go to an excellent article on the system, testing and replacement. It helped me a lot when I did mine several years ago. One thing has changed - the part number at AutoZone is now ZD-11 instead of ZD-10. The glow plugs come in Motorcraft part bags with Ford part numbers on them.

I have this article as well as some other information you may find helpful saved in MS Word format. If you would like copies send me an email at [email protected] with GLOW PLUG INFORMATION in the subject line, let me know what site you saw this on and what email address you would like me to use an dI will reply with the attachments.

Dave / Believer45

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
I was told to dump an extra dose of power service or standadyne in a tank run it hard to burn off carbon and try to change GP while engine was warm. Did all the above and with help from my buddy all the GP came out intact. Since it was his 3 or 4 time changing GP and having had broke one off and lost it in the cylinder we decided to continue with this method. I have also used the same method with spark plugs in the 4.0 ford motor and any car with alum. heads and have not broke off a spark plug since I was told to do it this way. Hope this help if you haven't tackled the job yet.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wish they mad a socket for loosening the glow plugs all the way, as if you loosen the glow plug all the way with a socket, it gets wedged on the injector :(
A piece of rubber fuel tubing about 12" long works good after you have it loose. Just slip it over the GP and turn it out, reverse for install.

TheBAT

Reaction score
I just bit the bullet and had the shop do it. The way my luck had been running lately I knew one would break off. I had 5 bad glow plugs...but it starts great now.

Kev

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Kev,

glad you got it done. I've done plugs on my IDI and while my plugs are not under the covers the job isn't ******* either the IDI pr PSD. I'm sure you could have done it. What everyone was telling you was mainly precautions so you can go into the job with your eyes wide open. If you've ever done plugs and rotor on a gasser or replaced a leaky valve cover (VC) gasket then you can replace glowplugs (GPs). Find a local International dealer with a parts counter and you can get Beru plugs there as well. Berus are the only GPs I'll use. They almost never break off. The Champions and Autolites (Autolite stands for sh*t in the IDI forum:D ) are known to have the tips swell and break off in as little time as a week. The main thing is your starting easier which is easier on the batteries and starter.