Glow Plug Relay Issues

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
Hi guys, got myself in a bit of a pickle here.

The truck is a 94 7.3 NON turbo with an E40D

My glowplug controller went bad on me the same time my alternator did (when it rains it pours I suppose:rolleyes:)

Anyways I installed the new alternator and glow plug relay today, hooked my batteries back up, then when I went to cycle the plugs....**** hit the fan

1.The WTS light was blinking at warpspeed....not like when your plugs are hot and you get that slow "click-clunk" sound as they cycle on and off - this was just insanely fast like a machine gun. I am familiar with the difference between what one would consider a normal flash on flash off and something isn't right.

2. All glow plugs were changed with BERU's 2 days before alternator went

3. The glowplug harness is in great shape and there are no breaks in any of the wires

4. I am 99.9% sure the connections are correct, but every time I google a diagram for the controller connections all I come across are "bypass" diagrams and I am not interested in installing any sort of push button.

Any thoughts or ideas? I essentially would like to know why its is blinking to fast, and hopefully someone can point me to a diagram that shows the correct hookups for the glow plug control.

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response.....thinking back to it....those yellow wires that supply power from the batter were bad on my truck so I ran a #4wire with fuse from the battery to supply power - makes me wonder if having the yellow wires hooked up is causing some sort of issue.

Plugs also check good today along with harness

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
Well after triple checking everything, I felt the need to try the k.i.s.s method. After thinking about it, I checked the wiring on the fender well solenoid, I found a few bad connections and after a thorough cleaning problem solved. The rapid clicking was due to a lack of power to the relay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online