glow plug controller or solenoid bad?

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glow plugs stuck in head after relay failure

went out to start my truck this morning (-10F), started up fine, let it warm up for 15 minutes while i went back in the house, came back out and my glow plug light was still on! drove to work and ran fine but glow plug light stayed on the whole way, just went out to see if anything changed in the last few hours, gliw plug light is still on even when the key is off, so i must assume either the controller or solenoid is fried? thx for any help!

Last edited:

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guess i should add it's an '86 F250 w/ 6.9 and 4speed manual trans, all stock.

gandalf

Reaction score
IF the glowplugs have actually been on all that time I think I'd go through the entire plug system. If they were powered all that time, there is a very good chance that the glowplugs are fried.:mad:

Very carefully start pulling the glowplugs to determine their condition. If you find one/some that don't want to come out, come back here for instructions.

Lets hope that the power didn't go all the way to the glowplugs, that it was a false positive.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you disconnected the batteries in the meanwhile? If indeed something has somehow caused the relay to fail closed, you're drawing full current of all the glow plugs constantly. That will kill your batteries right quick.

Where in WI, if I may ask?

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you disconnected the batteries in the meanwhile? If indeed something has somehow caused the relay to fail closed, you're drawing full current of all the glow plugs constantly. That will kill your batteries right quick.

Where in WI, if I may ask?

yes i disconnected the batteries last time i went out and the light was still on, got the charger on it now dont think its gonna start, no click from the solenoid. i'm up near eagls river.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a relay, and it's most likely stuck closed. The contact disc has been known to "weld" itself to the contacts for the terminals. So once you get the batteries charged, loosen the nut for the terminal on the relay that goes to the GPs. Then reconnect batteries and let the GPs run for a few seconds, then spin off that nut and disconnect that ring terminal. Relay will still be stuck closed, but it won't be burning up the GPs. 'Course, they might be burned up by now anyway. Do you have the block heater plugged in along with the battery charger, just in case?

Beautiful country up your way, haven't been up there in ages. We might be going up to Hancock MI this fall; we'll be sure to wave Hi.....

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep it was the relay, and of course it fried all my glow plugs dammit! my addendum to this is if i go to a manual glow plug set up will the same thing happen (burnt glow plugs) if i get another stuck relay? and also will i know if its stuck as i assume the glow plug light in the cab will no longer work? thanks again for all the help today, at least i got her started with charged batteries and block heater plugged in.

madpogue:
yes i love it up here except the winters are a little too long- nothing like being able to go sledding from town to town through miles of clean forests and lakes though! i actually grew up in madison but moved up here 20 years ago, its not that far but might as well be a world away!

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
madpogue:
yes i love it up here except the winters are a little too long- nothing like being able to go sledding from town to town through miles of clean forests and lakes though! i actually grew up in madison but moved up here 20 years ago, its not that far but might as well be a world away![/QUOTE]

Now thats what i'm talking about.

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just got around to changing the glow plugs and you guessed it, only got 2 of the 8 out, other 6 must be swelled up in there and wont come out, any suggestions? thanks in advance.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a pair of vice grips pull up in a twisty motion. When I couldn't pull up and twist no more I beat it back down and repeat. But I would total make sure the piston is at TDC

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a pair of vice grips pull up in a twisty motion. When I couldn't pull up and twist no more I beat it back down and repeat. But I would total make sure the piston is at TDC

at TDC so if it breaks off i can still get it out?

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
The split nuts go around the threads on the glow plug then you put the u shape shim under the split nut and then screw the glow plug out while holding the split nut. Then add more u shaped shims as required, jacking the glow plug out. The cable serves no purpose except hold all pieces so you don't loose them like a key ring

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online