glow plug controller or solenoid bad?

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes TDC just in case the the breaks off some people say you can get it out of the injector side but I never had to do that. And alway go back motorcraft well worth the extra bucks. I did a test of autolights and motorcraft 30 to 40 seconds to Explode. MC took 100 to 110 seconds before it mushroom out little bit. Now I did have a freind he broke off the tip and started the motor and let it go out the exhaust side but thats a no no. It is a soft metal so it well flatten out easy but get one stuck on the exhaust side say hey to head work.

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, i tried that on #8 cylinder and most of the tip broke off. when the glow plug came out, & i made the mistake of having the engine at TDC for #1 cylinder which is 90 degrees advanced of where i wanted to be so now my question is this: should i rotate the engine backwards 90 degrees for TDC of #8 cylinder then try the vacuum trick or should i leave the engine where it is and try the vacuum trick, or should i give up & get it towed to have the heads pulled? thanks again for any advice----

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im going to give it a shot, just wondering if i should rotate the engine first to TDC #8 or not?

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you did go back rotation go slow. Now you could be lucky and the tip still be stuck in the head and didn't drop. Then try vacuum trick. I never had to do it haven't master it yet. Before I would pull off the head I Would try anything g is alot of work.

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was going to cost me 300 to 400 dollars to pull the heads off and put the back on. Just for the gasket set, but when I was in there I was going to do a mild valve job on them so they seat good like remove all the carbon deposits

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it can be done! got it out with compressed air through the gp hole and vacuum through the injector bore, i had the vacuum going with an assistant while i slowly rotated the engine backward, forgot to add earlier it was actually a beru! guess im running without gps for awhile, dont feel like going through that again, thanks for the advice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online