Glow plug bypass confusion?

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello O"BS! I have read a million instructions, mostly the ones here on how to bypass the glow plug controller for my 1990 F-Superduty (TowTruck-Rollback) and i guess i have read my brain into being confused... along with lack of sleep. I chose a pull / Push type setup for my dash. It has 2 connections. I know that the white wire goes to one button connection in cab, but am confused if i ground the other or run straight power to it??? I think i fkd up by reading the articles for the older models that dont have the complicated control module like mine. Any help would be appreciated and if need be ill delete this post since it has been discussed 18,472 times :)) :sly

** Might i add that im trying to bypass the module and controller, even tho its new it stopped working, i would rather have manual control at all times **

Last edited:

Runningaford

Reaction score
Your momentary switch is to 'close' the ground. Tie into the white side of the relay(other is red, and hot), take this wire to one side of the switch, then out of the other side to ground.

it's awkward to me just a touch to put a switch on a ground, but that's what you're doing.

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to assume i did it right. Thanks so much for your prompt response fellas! My gps are still not warming up nor will it fire. The timing does need to be set but its TDC or a little advanced, ive been adjusting it to find a sweet spot till i can find someone in my area to set the timing. I messaged a member about a 7.3 gp harness earlier because im getting sick of this. The GP controller and module stopped clicking all together ( before i installed the bypass switch) now with my switch , the plugs still do not get warm. PO had some rough wiring done around the harness as i mentioned in one of my post from last month along with evidence of rodent damage at the plug on the passenger firewall going to the gp setup. Hopefully i can figure this **** out so i can hopefully start towing cars soon!! Just need a headlight, insurance, tag and flashing light permit!

waynetrain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
** IT will start and run with just a fine mist of YOU KNOW WHAT
I am going to assume i did it right. Thanks so much for your prompt response fellas! My gps are still not warming up nor will it fire. The timing does need to be set but its TDC or a little advanced, ive been adjusting it to find a sweet spot till i can find someone in my area to set the timing. I messaged a member about a 7.3 gp harness earlier because im getting sick of this. The GP controller and module stopped clicking all together ( before i installed the bypass switch) now with my switch , the plugs still do not get warm. PO had some rough wiring done around the harness as i mentioned in one of my post from last month along with evidence of rodent damage at the plug on the passenger firewall going to the gp setup. Hopefully i can figure this **** out so i can hopefully start towing cars soon!! Just need a headlight, insurance, tag and flashing light permit!

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the controller is clicking when you push the button you did it right. If the plugs still aren't getting hot then you have a problem on the positive side, the solenoid on the controller is bad or the glow plugs are bad.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Your voltage gauge on the dash is usually a good indicator if your GPs are working. If the voltage does not drop when you press thd button, then thd GPs are not getting power.

Runningaford

Reaction score
You can check the relay itself by turning the ignition switch to run(you should be able to test 12volt to ground at the smaller red relay control terminal), then take a jumper wire from your (-)battery, or a good ground to the relay white terminal. You'll definitely hear the relay at that point if it's working. I had to do this, as I cannot hear the relay from the cab; hard of hearing is a real pain, lol....

From there, the actual wiring harness that feeds the glowplugs has a weak spot where it connects to the truck harness(you'll see the harness connection on driver's side, next to the under hood fuse box). They feed the power through I think 10 gauge, and use the standard pin connections; with the amount of amperage going through there, the pins burn out. Pull your connection apart, and it'll be apparent if that's the problem; as the connections will be visibly 'melted' at the two far pins where the larger wires are.

Just bypass the connection with jumpers; permanently.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin