Getting ready for a trip??

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With camping season on us, we are gearing up for a trip to Arkansas (Mena). I have a few things that I've been needing to address on the truck. I'll be towing an 10,000lb fifth wheel. I've been searching some of my issues, and I'm getting a little overwhelmed. Below is a list of the things I've been neeeding to look at, let me know your thoughts.

1. Truck starts fine, cold-hot anytime one cycle on plugs and turns over fine. After start up sometimes it will stutter just a bit. Truck is smoking more than it did when I got it. I've only put 5,000 miles on it in 2 years, it has 109,000 miles. Truck runs fine, but as stated I see more smoke than I remember seeing in times past. There is an odor of diesel in the cab at idle, and around the front of the truck at idle. I'm sure the injectors and pump are original, I have seen no signs they have been replaced. Something I also noticed when I was under the truck installing the new seats. It looked like something wet down the underside of the truck, not a lot just here and there a spot that looked like it had been wet?

2. Brakes, pedal is firm but will get soft with pressure. When driving if you step on the brakes it doesn't feel as if it would stop the truck, but if you pump the brakes a couple times before applying stopping pressure things work fine. Also Brake light will come on especially if not using the pumping method. This is a big problem I need to fix right, stopping a travel trailer I want everything working the way it should (i do have trailer brakes and controller, but don't want to rely solely on them).

3. Speedometer, is making a racket. Faster you go louder it gets. Also the speedometer is accurate at low speeds, but above 40 it begins to run slower than actual speed. All the tires are stock size.

4. Transmission, with clutch pedal out and truck idling there is a growling noise (no better explanation of the noise), clutch pedal pressed and noise goes away. Truck shifts smooth, clutch works properly. This has been the case since owning the truck and doesn't bother me a lot. I have a ZF 5 to put in the truck, but I'm gonna use it this summer with the T-19, and change in the winter.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. I'm hoping the IP is not my issue in #1, I know it's getting to the mileage that folks suggest replacing. The truck has good power and runs like a top except the above issues. Good grief looking back at the list, makes me wonder just how good it does run :dunno. Don't want to replace parts I don't need to, I'm getting low on funds especially knowing the trip is coming in mid July.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Sounds like minor air intruision or a burnt out glow plug or two causing your shutter, Don't worry about the speedo, clutch growling noise could be a throughout bearing worn, quite common, no need for panic..

How many miles on the pump?

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Brakes sounds like the master is bad..... How deep do you want to go in replacement or upgrade?

I would have to agree with the above diagnosis, but leaning toward air intrusion as the shudder.

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would address the brake issue first. I would first look at the rear drum brake adjustment. The adjusters get gummed up and don't adjust like they should and can make the pedal feel soft. I would also pull the front wheels off and look at the calipers and rotors and brake lines for any problems. Then consider the master cylinder.

If the trans is making noise with the pedal out, then it is not the throwout bearing. It is bearings within the transmission. I would worry about the transmission depending on how far you are going and how loud the noise from the transmission is.

Archie

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would address the brake issue first. I would first look at the rear drum brake adjustment. The adjusters get gummed up and don't adjust like they should and can make the pedal feel soft. I would also pull the front wheels off and look at the calipers and rotors and brake lines for any problems. Then consider the master cylinder.

If the trans is making noise with the pedal out, then it is not the throwout bearing. It is bearings within the transmission. I would worry about the transmission depending on how far you are going and how loud the noise from the transmission is.

Archie
X2 on that. check your fluid level in the transmission and make sure its up.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check every fluid, check the pinion nut on the rear axle. Check for alternator output and roll under the chassis with a crescent wrench and randomly check and ensure everything looks tight.

travelinman31

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I too am thinking air intrusion. Gonna start with a fluid flush on the brakes, it's probably been in it since new in '85. Then I'll start going through components. Great point on checking the fluid in the transmission, I haven't even thought to check it. Speedometer is more aggravating than anything else, may unhook it cause I know I won't be speeding towing the tailer. Again I appreciate any and all advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online