Gear Vendors Install

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So it started tody and what a day. The directions are a compulation of many years of just adding to what has come before. You really need to read closely what goes where and when. One of the gaskets is supposed to have the printed side facing the trans. The other one thr printed side faces the overdrive and the flat side must face up......:dunno One set of directions says to shim the connecter 0.005 to 0.020 with a straight edge off the gasket. The other directions say the demension is 0.005 to 0.035... So I call and they told me to disregard all that and do this... So I did. Then the driveshaft cut down. Its not very clear so I call them again. I"'m sure by now they all know me by name.... Hey Jeff... That ****** is on the phone for you again.....:D Anyway the adapter is in place and after I straightened out 2 of the mounting studs the GV unit was bolted in place. The drive shft will be done tomorrow in the afternoon so I'll install that. Then add some oil and I can at least drive it. I still have lots of electrical to plug in and splice into the existing wire loom. Even some of those directions aren't needed. Seems they sent me the wiring directions for a 1994 to 1997 Dodge 618 trans.... Go figure... Seems I can't really get any breaks... Unless its my neck....:dunno Stil though I'm having fun working on this. Its not all bad... Just some of it...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it is coming together despite all of Gear Vendors' attempts to thwart you.:D What's up??...........NO PHOTOS!!!!????LOL

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gee Gary, I don't remember the install being that hard at all. The second one, I didn't even use the instructions. LOL Seems to me the electrical work was the biggest pain in the butt. Maybe the difference is because you're so precise in your work. Lacky's like me would just through it together and call it good. LOL

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One set of directions says to shim the connecter 0.005 to 0.020 with a straight edge off the gasket. The other directions say the demension is 0.005 to 0.035... So I call and they told me to disregard all that and do this... So I did. ... Seems I can't really get any breaks... Unless its my neck....:dunno Stil though I'm having fun working on this. Its not all bad... Just some of it...

Gary;Poke ;Poke

Uh what exactly did you do when they said don't do that do this.....did it have anything to do with jumping up n down on one foot while rubbing yer belly n patting yer head while reciting 13 Hail Marys?:rotflmao

Exactly how much shimming was needed...... 0.000000000000001 ????:rotflmao

What about Pics Gary? :smash:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just for those who just tuned in....
gary is a stickler for detail. All I do is bolt together used and often unloved and abused GV's and throw power to the solenoid to make sure the darn thing works. If it works, I then will spend the time putting in the electrical.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The shiming amount was 75 thousands. I ended up having 9 thousands play. Five was the smallest amount you could have so I'm good there. Yes, I'm really a stickler on details so when something is printed I read and reread it till I understand what they want. When I find differant instructions telling me to do 2 differant things then I'm on the phone asking whats up here. The installation manual states in several places what fluid to use. Then on the front cover is a sticky telling you what to use under a Fluid Update but nothing about a date. Its kinda a bunch of directions from years of what worked and what didn't. I probably should write up an installation manual and sell it to them. It really should be simple but nope... You would be asking for pics. I'm not able to post pics yet but I have plenty. I will learn how to post them someday...

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some engineer who has never had a wrench in his hand, must have wrote the instructions

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.. You would be asking for pics. I'm not able to post pics yet but I have plenty. I will learn how to post them someday...

Somebody.....PLEASE....anyone.....get to Gary's and show him how to post pictures....if anyone can provide detailed help with pictures Gary can....heck we may even get lessons in micrometer reading etc:rotflmao

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The easiest way to post pictures is use websites like photobucket.com upload the picture, then use the give img link and post it directly in your message window. You can then include high quality images and not slow down the site.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
On the later Euro cars with the laycocks, a bunch of us have found the Amsoil Powershift to work real well in the things.

The lube spec for the new GV is a little different ( they changed the material that the cone clutch is made out of not too far back...unfortunately,environmental regs. The old clutch material was stronger. If your cone clutch ever poops out go to a boneyard and try to find a tailsection from the last production years of volvo 780 and you'll get the good one ;Sweet

They give two specs for the new units, they are both GM spec fluids.
I looked up the specs on Amsoils site to see what they worked out to these days. If you are wanting to go with whatever fluid off the shelf, you are going to want the the two numbers listed, the first is a 5w-30 petrolium and the second is a synthetic 75w-90
I looked up Amsoil's offering and their crossover for the spec for the first number (synthetic manual synchromesh transmission fluid 5w-30MTF ) interistingly enough is only good for 300 deg and "not for use in wet clutch applications" leading me to wonder how many other petrolium oils being purchased off the shelf meeting the same spec would also be not for use in wet clutch applications
While the second GM spec fluid listed crosses directly to Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle
Gear Lube 75W-90 API GL-4 (MTG) ( it's also the one they reccomend for Gear Vendors units )

It looks like your best bet will be to choose your favourite flavour crossing to the second number ;Sweet Make sure to check for wet clutch compatibility since that seems to be an issue in that range of fluids

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin