Gear choice

dalton505per

Reaction score
Hey everybody I have a quick question to ask. I am running 35" tires with a stock gear ratio of 3.73 I would like to re-gear the truck to get a little more speed out of it and more punch off the line. What gears are you running in your trucks with 35" tires and what rpm are you at going 75mph?????

Thanks

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For speed you want a higher ratio (lower number) and for better low end you want a lower ratio (higher number)
Personally I think you will be very disapointed in any ratio higher (lower number) than what you have.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
For speed you want a higher ratio (lower number) and for better low end you want a lower ratio (higher number)
Personally I think you will be very disapointed in any ratio higher (lower number) than what you have.

I think you'll probably be dissatisfied with anything compared to what you got. I just switched to 3.73's, although an IDI, had 3.54's and 4.10's and personally, I think the 3.73's are pretty tough to beat. Good mix of low and high end. With 35's, you are probably close to a 3.54 ratio or maybe higher. 4.10's will give you good low end and with that big of a tire, might be just what you are looking for. I'd not go to any higher gear (lower number) as you are going to fall flat on low end. You can go to Randy's ring and pinion calculator and see what your gear ratio would be with those tires and have a better idea from there.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
in my 96 Im runnin 373 with a 35, and love it, the only loss I have is when pulling its a little tough pulling out in 1st, but I also have the 4/1 1st not the 5/1.
70 is just a little over 2k.